Wood ID help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are my eyes playing tricks on me? The bark almost looks like hackberry in the first three pics.
no, I saw it also but the wood was maple. Think sugarberry is the southern version of hackberry. I struggle with the southern version of trees I can id from a 1/2 mile in Indiana and I spend a lot of time in Mississippi

What other name does "chalk" maple go by? Never heard of it. Never seen any mention of such before.

Tree book and the internet say it's also called White Maple.

I used to help a guy from Southwick years ago and we found some pretty unique (to me) trees while clearing overgrown fields around a farmhouse. The trunks looked like Red Maple that had been bleached with really light, smooth bark but the leaves weren't right. The guy I was helping just called 'em "Maple" and that was good enough for him but I got my tree book that night (what crude tools they had before the internet!) and next day started trying to figure them out. Best I could figure was "Chalk Maple" which was listed as a southern tree. The homeowner the owner said his grandmother might have planted some near the house years ago since she moved up here from down south and would bring stuff back from visits to her family.

This page shows some pictures. It says young trees might have rough bark but the ones we were cutting all had smooth, pale bark like the Chatham Co. tree below.
http://www.carolinanature.com/trees/acle.html

Tree book and the internet say it's also called White Maple.

I used to help a guy from Southwick years ago and we found some pretty unique (to me) trees while clearing overgrown fields around a farmhouse. The trunks looked like Red Maple that had been bleached with really light, smooth bark but the leaves weren't right. The guy I was helping just called 'em "Maple" and that was good enough for him but I got my tree book that night (what crude tools they had before the internet!) and next day started trying to figure them out. Best I could figure was "Chalk Maple" which was listed as a southern tree. The homeowner the owner said his grandmother might have planted some near the house years ago since she moved up here from down south and would bring stuff back from visits to her family.

This page shows some pictures. It says young trees might have rough bark but the ones we were cutting all had smooth, pale bark like the Chatham Co. tree below.
http://www.carolinanature.com/trees/acle.html

imag0266-jpg.340173

Latest posts

Back