Wood ID help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Got bored and broke out the 025 & 034 and did some wood scrounging. Cut some blow down Red Oak and another tree...I need your help identifying. Is it Beech, Elm, Silver Maple...?
It was a heck of a lot easier to cut & much lighter to load than the smaller chunks of Red Oak! :confused:
The last pic is the Red Oak blow down...

Thanks,
Reg
IMAG0264.jpg IMAG0266.jpg IMAG0265.jpg IMAG0267.jpg IMAG0262.jpg

Red Maple is extremely common here and that tree would be a pretty simple ID. Chalk Maple is originally a southern tree but I've run into a few in western MA and CT. Leaves are good indicators for Maples. But in this case I'd go with Red Maple. Red and Chalk Maple look similar when young but somewhere around 6-8" around Red Maple often starts to develop checks in the bark while Chalk Maple texture shows as thin ridges. Also, hard to tell sometimes but Chalk Maple bark becomes white or lighter with age and the tree is smaller overall. I think the dark heartwood showing in the branches is the real indicator. One other tell might be whether the branches are fairly straight or not. Red Maple branches seem to have plenty of "elbows" as they grow, Chalk Maple that I've seen seems to be straighter.

Red Maple is extremely common here and that tree would be a pretty simple ID. Chalk Maple is originally a southern tree but I've run into a few in western MA and CT. Leaves are good indicators for Maples. But in this case I'd go with Red Maple. Red and Chalk Maple look similar when young but somewhere around 6-8" around Red Maple often starts to develop checks in the bark while Chalk Maple texture shows as thin ridges. Also, hard to tell sometimes but Chalk Maple bark becomes white or lighter with age and the tree is smaller overall. I think the dark heartwood showing in the branches is the real indicator. One other tell might be whether the branches are fairly straight or not. Red Maple branches seem to have plenty of "elbows" as they grow, Chalk Maple that I've seen seems to be straighter.

What other name does "chalk" maple go by? Never heard of it. Never seen any mention of such before.

Red maple is very good kindling/shoulder-season wood.

Hey Guys,

Got bored and broke out the 025 & 034 and did some wood scrounging. Cut some blow down Red Oak and another tree...I need your help identifying. Is it Beech, Elm, Silver Maple...?
It was a heck of a lot easier to cut & much lighter to load than the smaller chunks of Red Oak! :confused:
The last pic is the Red Oak blow down...

Thanks,
Reg
View attachment 340171 View attachment 340173 View attachment 340174 View attachment 340175 View attachment 340176

Not certain I am buying your id on that red oak although it may be an oak that resides on the red side of the family!

silver_maple_04_bark.jpg

Latest posts

Back