Wood ID . . . Locust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunNGun17

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Found this tree blown over, got permission to cut it up. Felt kind of light but I think its Locust, am I wrong?
And of course I forgot the small branch I laid in the grass but I looked up Locust leafs on google and they look just like what I was seeing.
2zi9bn9.jpg

10r0i01.jpg

Or is it Black Walnut, studied the leafs on the internet before I headed back to the tree, never looked at Black Walnut, hmmm I'm thinking since the leafs kind of look similar it fooled this rookie. . . . . is it still good wood if its Black Walnut?

The cut end resembles black walnut.

The black locust that I've been cutting shows no sapwood. Just a chartruese/yellow/green coloration that is consistent from bark through heartwood. I put pictures up not that long ago.

I've burned plenty of walnut. Let it sit for 2 yrs before burning. Walnut needs a lot of time to season. Btu's is ok I think around 22mil. I use it for ealy fall and late spring burning.

That looks like the Black Walnut I cut around here for sure, I would certainly go back for it, like others have said, give 2 years and mix it with other hard woods. B. Walnut is a pleasure to split by hand as well!!

Latest posts

Back