wood ID question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abob30

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Could you guys confirm the ID of this wood? It splits real easy and has a light olive green center. Some of the rounds have a dark black core within the green center. I'm not absolutely certain but thought it may be cottonwood? ThanksView attachment 201328

Last edited:
I would say that it looks like poplar with that green coloring.

Thanks for the input and here's a shot of the bark.
attachment.php

201328d1317581810-firewood-pdf-jpg

poprlar turns all those different colors inside when it lays in the dirt/mud for a bit without being split
i had a piece last year with about every color of the rainbow on the inside
poplar 100%

is the piece on the right is also from the same tree ?

the black can sometimes just be some rotton crap black ants leave behind in many species, its almost impossible to cut a cherry or black locust open without finding some of those black rotted out ant sections

Last edited:
201328d1317581810-firewood-pdf-jpg

poprlar turns all those different colors inside when it lays in the dirt/mud for a bit without being split
i had a piece last year with about every color of the rainbow on the inside
poplar 100%

is the piece on the right is also from the same tree ?

the black can sometimes just be some rotton crap black ants leave behind in many species, its almost impossible to cut a cherry or black locust open without finding some of those black rotted out ant sections
All the wood was downed from Huricane Irene in late August so it hasn't been sitting around too long. I believe the piece on the right may have come from the same tree but not certain. It had the olive green center like the others.

Thanks again for your input fellas. By "poplar" you mean, white polar, right? I've been splitting some yellow poplar or Tulip and the grain looks completely different from this wood. The inside looks very yellow and doesn't split quite as easily as this wood but I wouldn't say that it's hard to split either. The biggest difference with this wood(Poplar, as some have said) and yellow poplar is the weight. The yellow poplar feels like it weighs 25% more then the wood with the light green center.
I'm no expert but trying to learn as much as I can as I process this stuff.

Never cut up white poplar so I don't know what that looks like. This IS tulip aka yellow poplar.

Latest posts

Back