Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The inside says black walnut, but the bark doesn't.

Almost looks like a black walnut but looking at the bark I would say some of the pictures are of a bitternut hickory. When you see the splits they look like cheap hammer handles from a hickory tree. Really looks like a black ash but your bark is wrong. Gott'a say swamp wood or bitternut hickory ???

Almost looks like a black walnut but looking at the bark I would say some of the pictures are of a bitternut hickory. When you see the splits they look like cheap hammer handles from a hickory tree. Really looks like a black ash but your bark is wrong. Gott'a say swamp wood or bitternut hickory ???
Yes it definitely could be. As I mentioned when it was just cut it smelled much like mockernut but the bark was wrong.

Like jrider wrote, Walnut has a smell but your rings don't seem tight enough for walnut. Almost like you have two different trees in the pictures and we are seeing the branches and not a trunk like we think. That would show different types of bark. Was that tree cut in a low land or in damp areas? Our yellow ash likes the damp areas and so does the bitternut hickory. Real damp type wood but dries out fast like ash once it's split.

Yes it definitely could be. As I mentioned when it was just cut it smelled much like mockernut but the bark was wrong.

The three splits are from the same two pieces I put up in the original post. The are definitely trunk wood from a smaller tree as that is what the guy was cutting. Obviously it makes it tough when the branches were already burned. FWIW it was on a slight hill close to where an old farm once stood. As I mentioned before the trees in this area are about three hours south of my home range so I am still learning some of the species. I will be cutting out there in a few weeks and I should be able to find another tree of that species and it will have leaves by then if we can't solve it by the bark and wood alone.

My vote would be some kind of Walnut also. That definitely doesn't look like Black Locust inside or out.

I split a couple more mystery pieces. These had the unmistakable "hog barn" smell that I believe is hickory? Does walnut have a similar smell?

These had the unmistakable "hog barn" smell that I believe is hickory? Does walnut have a similar smell?
L-O-L - That depends on the "hog barn", now don't it?? Do you mean a hog barn in late July, or a hog barn in January?? :laughing:
To me, walnut smells like... well... walnut (grows like weeds 'round here). How that smell compares to hickory I can't really say, I don't remember the last time I cut or split wet/green hickory... heck, I may never have.

Latest posts

Back