wood pile photo's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injun joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
well was just wondering if anybody out there was willing to take a picture of their wood pile. this might sound odd but i was hoping to see what a ''real'' wood pile looked like i mean out in the middle of the desert not known for an abundance of anything.

:camera:

:computer2:

:phone:

:computer:

be patient, the woodchuck is still foraging around the pile and I'm still sleeping.

NEWKNIFEPICS.jpg

Ok, Here you go, probably pretty piss poor compared to others around here but i did it in two hrs only today.And have a shipload more rounds to split, but they can wait till next weekend!What i have should last a fortnight.
Rob

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nFR2t_kDRqI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nFR2t_kDRqI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>Don't know if this worked but this is a vid of me helping my brother and there is stacked wood.I helped him with about half of it.

Man i would be in heaven if I had access to that kind of wood and that equipment.That is doing the wood:cheers:

I can't take the credit for most of it, my father in law pulled it all out of the woods this winter (its his land and skidder) and we have been working on bucking it up and splitting it this spring.

NEWKNIFEPICS.jpg

Ok, Here you go, probably pretty piss poor compared to others around here but i did it in two hrs only today.And have a shipload more rounds to split, but they can wait till next weekend!What i have should last a fortnight.
Rob
What kind of wood do you have there?And I had to look up what a fortnight was(learn something new every day)have fun burning that wood for the next 2 weeks.:cheers:

I only have about 3 cords at present, but I've given around that much away to a friend. Gonna hook up the 6x12 lanscaping trailer, grab my echo and go scrounging tomorrow. My goal is to have at least a year and a half to 2 year's worth of daily burning on hand. I am determined to meet this goal at all costs. Failure is not an option.

I only have about 3 cords at present, but I've given around that much away to a friend. Gonna hook up the 6x12 lanscaping trailer, grab my echo and go scrounging tomorrow. My goal is to have at least a year and a half to 2 year's worth of daily burning on hand. I am determined to meet this goal at all costs. Failure is not an option.
Most excellent.:cheers:I like to get 3 years ahead of the game myself which means about 13 1/2 cords.I am now 5 cords behind that because I pulled a twisted every thing in my left knee and have not done any wood for the last 3 months.All I have to do is split and stack the 5 cords I cut over the winter.Think I will get some pics of the 5 cords and post them.2 1/2 of it is Elm I cut 12 miles away and hauled it back(20 loads with my S-10 4X4) short box with topper).
attachment.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarraValleyDude

Rob

What kind of wood do you have there?And I had to look up what a fortnight was(learn something new every day)have fun burning that wood for the next 2 weeks.

The wood in the pile is all Mountain ash, cut from my property.
For those interested, heres a fact sheet on Mountain Ash.
http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/Dse/nrenfor.nsf/9e58661e880ba9e44a256c640023eb2e/fe8d0550e3a510b34a256dea0014eb09/$FILE/mountain%20ash.pdf

i just took these tonight. i still got quite a bit more to split. i did some measuring and im around 12-13 split and stacked cord of hard wood. the stack to the waaay far right is pine. prolly 1.5-2 cord of that :(

the 2nd pic is the pile currently in process behing the center pile.

the 3rd pic is the pine stack, you can harldy see it in the first pic. most the piles that are between the trees are over 6ft high. the others are over 5 ft.

the ones between the trees are 3 rows deep aswell. all the others are 2 rows deep.

The logs nearest the crop line are cut/split and in the pile already.
The F350 truck box measures 7-1/2'W x 12'L x 38"H, its a flatbed with scissor lift style of hoist, pto off the tranny. The truck works well to convey the wood from the splitter to the piles, then the tractor to push it all up into neat, clean piles.

The tractor is a 1972 Ford 3400 Industrial.

Logtruck015Small.jpg

The fenced area is a weed management project, typically known as a garden.

Last edited:
Here's a bird's eye (if it was on top of my shed roof anyhow) view of my woodpiles (most of em anyhow):

attachment.php

Pile in the background is about 2 1/2 cords, it's my cold weather-dont want to start the tractor to haul wood in-pile. Mostly oak there.

Main pile is somewhat sorted by species, has oak, birch, cherry, maple, elm and a smattering of ironwood, poplar, and ash. Roughly 6 cords stacked there so far, maybe 2 more on the ground need splitting and stacking. Big wood trailer looks kinda small from up here! Not sure which direction I'll start stacking next, back rows are 2 wide, and left side is going on 3 wide, probably will end up U shaped with 2 more rows going left to right. Waiting on the carb kit for the M Farmall to fire up the splitter again, 180 is on the haybine and will stay there unless needed for the summer.

Not shown is my junk wood pile, 75% boxelder with some punky stuff of other species thrown in. Probably a cord there give or take, will go thru the campfire and warm up those cool fall evenings in the house, and possibly heat the granary if I get my little saw tinkering area done and find a small stove for it.

Barely visible in the top left are a bunch of white posts more or less holding up a rotted roof. That's the old woodshed, which will get a new tin roof and cattle panel sides this summer and will get filled next winter.

Steve

1st pic is mostly osage with some cedar from clearing spot for outbuilding.
2nd pic is side view
3rd pic is osage, ash, hickory, elm, walnut---you name it----it's in there.
How many cords you think?

Back