Wood Score! Need Help With ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

England14

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Blown down during recent storm. When I pulled up after the power board left I thought I had a load of walnut! When I got out and looked I realized it wasn't. Question now is what is it? I know what it will be once split and stacked, it will be firewood.
Wood4-1.jpg

Wood3.jpg

Wood2.jpg

Wood1.jpg

never cut any...

..so can't say on the interior shots of the wood. Exterior it looks to be *perhaps* what is called around here "horse chestnut".

No sweet smell as a mater of fact it smells like that chitty oak smell only not as strong. There was no evidence of nuts around and it it was mulberry it should have had mulberries on it.

Cut Saturday and the pictures took Sunday evening. It's not like any Mulberry that I have seen. The dark was there as soon as cut. Very consistent color except for the thin sap wood.

its siberian elm

I think Tom nailed it. Thanks! Now I've got to decide if it is worth going back for the big stuff. Wife says I got enough wood. I figure I am good till 2013 or so and don't have a lot of room. I got a couple loads of maple from the neighbor this last weekend. Tree fell and took off half the front porch. Half the tree is still standing and he is talking about taking it down. If he does he'll have to find a bigger saw than the saw shark!

Latest posts

Back