Wood shed oak or oak left outside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratso

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a couple places I store my firewood. The wood shed oak is 3 years old and at the time I processed it sat in the sun outside during the summer for a couple months. The wood left outside has been there for 3 years. The outside wood has visible cracks at the end of the pieces.

I am burning some from both places,the outside wood I put next to the stove for a few hours before burning. Guess which one burns better... So far they are about the same.

I leave all of my wood outside. I stack it on the porch as I need it. I try to avoid wood that rots quickly for this reason. Works out fine for me- Morgan

I'm stacking oak in a wood shed and also outside. We used to fill up our shed (around 23 cord) and put the rest outside, only covering the top with industrial tarps. There are only 3 rows outside while there are maybe 10 next to each other in the shed. And rain on oak should help to remove the tannin (so I've heard). We had oak outside for 6 or 7 years without any problems. Just took it inside and could burn it immediately.

After this winter, I won't have any seasoned wood left in my shed but I already started filling it again with fresh oak. Next to that I've also started with Holz Hausen! Like to see how soon the wood gets dry. I won't stack any rows outside for now but I'm sure curious about the Holz Hausen. I think the outside rows in a shed will dry as quickly as the ones outside (or almost as quick). Just the inner rows will take longer.

I'm stacking oak in a wood shed and also outside. We used to fill up our shed (around 23 cord) and put the rest outside, only covering the top with industrial tarps. There are only 3 rows outside while there are maybe 10 next to each other in the shed. And rain on oak should help to remove the tannin (so I've heard). We had oak outside for 6 or 7 years without any problems. Just took it inside and could burn it immediately.

After this winter, I won't have any seasoned wood left in my shed but I already started filling it again with fresh oak. Next to that I've also started with Holz Hausen! Like to see how soon the wood gets dry. I won't stack any rows outside for now but I'm sure curious about the Holz Hausen. I think the outside rows in a shed will dry as quickly as the ones outside (or almost as quick). Just the inner rows will take longer.

I read that the Holz Hausen drys wood in 3 to 4 months. But I havent tryied one yet

I read that the Holz Hausen drys wood in 3 to 4 months. But I havent tryied one yet

Yes, I've read the same. But there was never specified which wood would be dry in 3 or 4 months, probably not oak :). Though I also found this older topic on the forum (check the last post) and a page about building them that says they need at least 2 years of seasoning.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/51341.htm
Building a firewood Holzmiete needs both creativeness and craft skill.

Also, the size of the logs, the size of the hause/miete will probably have an influence.

Last edited:
Like you're seeing, at 3 years it's probably going to be a wash. At one year, I'd have put my money on the outside stacks being drier, assuming they were in an open area and not out in the woods where sun and wind couldn't do their job.

I would say climate is the biggest factor in how long the curing time is.
Storing wood in a building that is shaded and doesn’t have good air flow will take longer then one in the open with direct sunlight and good air flow, same with stacking outside.
The size of the wood and type of wood will also reflect the drying time.
All wood will last longer if it kept completely dry at all times.

If you can put 23 cord under roof it is not a shed it is a barn! LOL
My best friends parents are from Belgium. VanLancker?

If you can put 23 cord under roof it is not a shed it is a barn! LOL
My best friends parents are from Belgium. VanLancker?
Well normally, the trailer and some other small stuff is also under it. It's build against our garage so it's open on 3 sides.

Don't know anyone going with that name. Where are they from?

Well normally, the trailer and some other small stuff is also under it. It's build against our garage so it's open on 3 sides.

Don't know anyone going with that name. Where are they from?

Couldn't tell you exactly. I'm sure he has told me but CRS is kicking in a lot more the older I get!

Latest posts

Back