Wood Shed question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcappe

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a wood shed in the to do list for this summer. I have priced out the car ports online and come up with a price of around $1300 shipped and installed. I went to the local lumber yard and told them the dimensions I wanted (18x24) and he came up with $1600 tax included. Local LY priced out trusses, steel roof and trim to match my OWB. It would basically be put up like a pole shed and I could always very easily finish off the sides with matching steel if I wanted to close it off. I of course have to do the building if I go that route. The pole shed may look a little nicer than the carport but that doesn't really matter to me (wife my have different feelings). I know the wood shed would be sturdier than the carport and probably last longer. Is it worth the extra $300 and time to put it up? Another note would be I would give the money to a local guy vs. where ever the carport people are. What do ya think?

What grade lumber is that $1600 for? The local yard here allows you to pick your own and carries industrial grade and rough cut, as well as some of the pricier cuts.

I have a wood shed in the to do list for this summer. I have priced out the car ports online and come up with a price of around $1300 shipped and installed. I went to the local lumber yard and told them the dimensions I wanted (18x24) and he came up with $1600 tax included. Local LY priced out trusses, steel roof and trim to match my OWB. It would basically be put up like a pole shed and I could always very easily finish off the sides with matching steel if I wanted to close it off. I of course have to do the building if I go that route. The pole shed may look a little nicer than the carport but that doesn't really matter to me (wife my have different feelings). I know the wood shed would be sturdier than the carport and probably last longer. Is it worth the extra $300 and time to put it up? Another note would be I would give the money to a local guy vs. where ever the carport people are. What do ya think?

I got a buddy that lives in Iowa... Seems like you fellas get some snow in the winter... I'd build the thing from scratch if it were me... But then again, I'm a carpenter. LOL

You can save quite a bit of money by just hand stacking the roof with dimensional or use BCI's/TJI's, or building the trusses yourself. They're not hard to make... And they can be made just a strong as trusses you buy... Crown your top and bottom chords 'up', and go to town.

If you have some good straight hardwoods in your area, peel up some logs, and use those for the main structure... Treat the ends of the posts with roofing tar before you plant them in the ground.

You should be able to do your shed for a lot less than $1,300.00. The tin should be your greatest expense.

Let me know if you'd like some help with design and takeoff.

Most people in my area do what you are saying but, since we get alot of snow and wind they put the OWB right inside the building.

I sold my OWB a few years ago and put an indoor coal/wood boiler inside my garage which is about 50ft away from my house. It was the best thing I have done. No more freezing to death while tending the fire, which, the wife loves when she has to tend the fire. I am willing to bet your OWB will last longer also. Trust me, it would be worth the extra couple of bucks...

Just my .02 cents

Last edited:
I am a carpenter

BUT I had an 18x31 carport put up. It is staked to the ground.. If I ever quit burning wood. I can un-stake it and drag it to a new location on the place.
Let me see you move a pole barn that easy. I could just as easily close in my sides too. Just order some 31 foot metal and screw it on.

Latest posts

Back