Wood Splitter Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhays

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a small 5hp Briggs Powered Montgomery Ward splitter from the 70s. Guy says it ran, could use a points cleaning. I put new points in it, clearence then, cleaned off the flywheel and magneto. Cant get a spark. Changed Plug, nothing. Had a buddy hold the tip and he gets shocked. Thought it coul be the coil, put it on, and nothing. The coil I bought, converted to a magnetron. I had a buddy put the coil on, because I wasnt sure on the conversion. It came with a wire and a plug setup, he through the wire away because I have the ground out kill switch on the spark plug. Even with everythign clearence it doesnt get spark. I need this thing running yesterday, thanks, Josh

I have had the condenser go out and it still gave a little jolt but no real spark. hope it helps

I'm no wrench, but how's the spark plug wire? After 40 years, it should probably be changed as well.

I've had the ground out wire wear through the insulation and cause a no spark problem. The thing is your buddy clipped the wire. I would check that the wire stub is not grounding for some reason.

Don

Thanks, Question I have, My buddy said I didnt need the wires to the coil because I have the ground out on the spark plug. Did I need those wires? Aka, the only wires on the coil is the ignition wires. SOrry for the frustration, but my lawn mwer is about to be missing an engine so I can split wood.

Latest posts

Back