Wood Splitter Picture Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a log splitter I modified. originally it was home made, with an 8inch tall push block that wrapped around the top of the I-beam. at the end of the I-beam was a 8inch tall wedge. it mounted to the 3 point of a tractor. after a few uses the top of the I-beam started bending up because of twisted, or crooked logs. so I changed the push block to a wedge. I welded angle iron to the I-beam to strengthen the I-beam and use the angle iron as a track to keep the wedge in place. I also converted it to attach to a skid loader so now I never handle the logs. I simply spit from the seat of the skidder. I've seen splitters on skid loaders that stick straight out but I figured if I mount it sideways in front of the skidder I can drive up to the log and split it or tilt the splitter down (just like tilting the bucket down) and split from the top of the log. either way its working great. just a few ideas for anyone out there planning a build. I plan to weld on a few more plates to protect the hydraulic lines in the future.
DSC01031_zpsdf264b8f.jpg

DSC01032_zps58084fcb.jpg

DSC01033_zps1cea0ff3.jpg

DSC01034_zps7a5e5566.jpg

Tom I have both the 4 way & 6 way. I'm not happy with the 6 way. Seems I'm forever having to re-split pieces which are still hanging together by "strings". The 4 way however is great.

If you get down this way though I'll make you a good deal on the 6 way.:msp_smile:

The fil and I just beefed up the pushblock. The steel that was on the sides wasn't thick enough and kept breaking.
View attachment 276918
View attachment 276919
We also notched the top o the beam.. It's actually a a piece of train track with a piece of flat iron welded to the top. That way if it would ever break again we can take it off and fix it and just set it in the notch and slide it back in. View attachment 276925

Lots of neat stuff in this thread, and some great ideas. Just wondering here, what is the advantage to having a fixed wedge, and a pusher on the ram? Looks to me like there would be alot of chasing around and picking up to split again. I've got 3 splitters here, all of them are set up with the wedge on the ram. I was looking through here for some ideas for a lift for one of them. Plenty of ideas here.

Thanks.

Buck, with a wedge on beam machine, you can just keep pushing completed splits off the end, no need to toss em if you're so inclined. Chasing after resplits is minimized with a table mounted alongside the wedge, or just filling up the area with split wood, like I usually do. I've used this style most all my life, it comes natural to me, having to throw completed splits off a wedge on ram machine seems like a waste from my point of view. Others will tell you just the opposite, it's personal preference really until you get into lots of production, then a conveyor off the end of a wedge on beam machine starts to really have advantages. Ever see a processor with a wedge on the cylinder?

Buck, with a wedge on beam machine, you can just keep pushing completed splits off the end, no need to toss em if you're so inclined. Chasing after resplits is minimized with a table mounted alongside the wedge, or just filling up the area with split wood, like I usually do. I've used this style most all my life, it comes natural to me, having to throw completed splits off a wedge on ram machine seems like a waste from my point of view. Others will tell you just the opposite, it's personal preference really until you get into lots of production, then a conveyor off the end of a wedge on beam machine starts to really have advantages. Ever see a processor with a wedge on the cylinder?

Never seen a processor other than vids on the interwebs and stuff :D I see what you mean though, just doesn't look natural to me, looks like it's a tossup between chucking a small split, and lifting a big chunk back on the beam :confused:

I've got a big splitter here that runs off of one of the tractor's hydraulics, it has tables made to it for handling big rounds. Works good for me, I usually load them on a hay wagon, then pull right up to the splitter. Then I can roll them right off the wagon onto the splitter, and the half I'm not working on lays on the table opposite from me. I'm thinking about putting a lift arm on the splitter that I take with me to other farms, usually I'm by myself, so it's a PITA to move too much equipment away from the home farm.

Typically, only the horizontal/vertical machines use wedge on ram. If it is purely horizontal - most likely it will be wedge on beam for the reasons Steve stated.

Wedge on beam with work tables and log lift - rules.:rock:

Lots of neat stuff in this thread, and some great ideas. Just wondering here, what is the advantage to having a fixed wedge, and a pusher on the ram? Looks to me like there would be alot of chasing around and picking up to split again. I've got 3 splitters here, all of them are set up with the wedge on the ram. I was looking through here for some ideas for a lift for one of them. Plenty of ideas here.

Thanks.

I got both and like both... More "potential" with the big fixed wedge machine, but I rarely get the perfect sized material to really maximize it. I think an operator will naturally find the most effective work methods to make either design work well...

I will add, that work tables rock!!!

My ongoing build!!!

Ive been thinking and workin on this for a while Im new to the site so bare with me. I will see if i can do pics right.
I had an old Toyota truck that had been wrecked. I knew the truck and knew the motor was ok. Didnt want to spend money on it for a truck. So i decided to make a Log Splitter out of it. Im on my 2nd yr with a OWB that i just love, but it does like wood.
Going to hook 30 gpm pump onto front crankshaft for hydros. Cyl is a 6x40 with 3'' ram. ;) Going to have a lift on it as it it pretty high but when wood is split it wont hit the ground again. Want to do an elevator but will prolly just do a chute onto a wagon for nowView attachment 283346View attachment 283347View attachment 283349View attachment 283350View attachment 283352View attachment 283346View attachment 283347View attachment 283349View attachment 283350View attachment 283352

That's pretty impressive. Keep the pics coming as your build progresses.

Latest posts

Back