Wood Splitter Picture Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is mine after an addition of a cyl and hose guard. Plus a fresh paint job. It will never look this good again.
attachment.php
attachment.php

love splitting

ya really love splitting wood now. Used to not like the big ugly wood but doesnt bother me anymore.

ya really love splitting wood now. Used to not like the big ugly wood but doesnt bother me anymore.

thats a sweet splitter for sure. i also like the dual stacks on the smoker/hog roaster behind it in the first pic

this is an old Lickety Log Splitter bought by my grandmother in the late 1960's. Its been rebuilt twice. Slow and steady.
221497d1328290029-img_4458-jpg

221498d1328290036-img_4460-jpg

221499d1328290044-img_4461-jpg

221500d1328290050-img_4465-jpg

Last edited:
I use imageshack. Just upload the photo and copy and paste the link. Even i can do it:laugh:

Only down side is you have to upload pictures one at a time. but really how many pictures do you add in a post at once anyway..

this is an old Lickety Log Splitter bought by my grandmother in the late 1960's. Its been rebuilt twice. Slow and steady.
221497d1328290029-img_4458-jpg

221498d1328290036-img_4460-jpg

221499d1328290044-img_4461-jpg

221500d1328290050-img_4465-jpg

I'm glad some one else had a Lickity. I just picked up one from my buddy for 50 bucks. Mine is the bigger model with a 36" capacity. After reasearching this thing it is really cool. Instead of a 2 stage pump it has a 2 stage cylinder. A hydraulic pressure valve senses build up and kicks in the second stage of the cylinder. It has an auto cycle that will automatically trip the ram forward and auto return. All you have to do is feed it and watch your hands. For heavy rounds it sits flat on the ground, no lifting. For smaller pieces the axle rotates up for a comfortable splitting height. To raise the machine back up into the high, towing position, you hook a cable on a post on the ram and extend it, pulling and locking the axle into position. As for slow, NO. Pending on model it has a 7.5 to 9.5 cycle time. The economy models with a single stage cylinder were slower with cycle times of 20 to 30 seconds pending on model. It has large springs that return the cylinder quite quickly. The designer was the head of Waco Aircraft Co and built it in ther factory untill selling the rights to another co. One thing he used from aircraft technology was the use of heat treated alloy steal, this thing only weighs 500 lbs and will split anything. I'd like to restore this one to as new condition, but for now I just want to see if I can get it to cycle as it should.

002-23.jpg

004-17.jpg

My old splitter was a Bliss 40hp comercial splitter, and I'm really pumped to prove this dinky little machine can hold it's own with the old Bliss, Joe.

i do like that splitter there blazin. i need to make a table like yours for the end of mine

My and my brothers Woodsplitter

Here is ours. Its a pre made beam that we added everything else to. I started the project in High School and my brother finished it up the semester after I graduated. We made the pusher, oil tank, motor mount, welded a steering axle straight, and added grippy tires for traction. The motor is an 8HP Briggs&Stratton from a crapped out generator, we cut the tapered shaft off with it running using a hack saw. The key was cut using a die grinder. I think the only thing we bought was the hoses, valve, pump, and pump mount. The first cylinder was free, but it broke and we had to buy the current one. The next upgrade I think will be a bigger motor and pump.

5ff50abd.jpg

d12edbf1.jpg

2968e65b.jpg

ca97b4f4.jpg

I love it when young guys do stuff that can't be done. If you asked how to get that shaft cut, you would have been told to pull the crank, take it to a machine shop, have it precission cut and balanced, and a new key way added. Or, just fire the sucker up and hold a hack saw blade on it till the end falls off. Way to go, Joe.

Here's mine. No I beam here, just a square beam with a plate welded to it. 14 horse engine plus mechanical reduction on the pump drive pulleys means I rarely have to run it above idle. It's got a nice, wide wedge for fast splitting. Most woods require about 1/2 to 2/3 push across the wedge and they're apart. That's a boat axle underneath for towing although it's never moved since I put it in that spot. The white line on the side is 14 inches from the tip of the wedge.
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
just had to share this home made splitter video i found on you tube

[video=youtube;MD0cp3g6O78]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD0cp3g6O78&feature=related[/video]

Pretty cool, but how much time is wasted having to bring every piece of wood to the splitter?

Latest posts

Back