Wood Splitter Picture Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my home made wood splitter, made with a 5hp electrical motor. No big noise! we can speak to each other easily when working with it. Need to add a log lifter on it, it's gonna be on my project list...
I started splitting friday. Today I took the time for pictures.

thanks for the pics.

What's the tine spacing on your 'wood rake' attachment on the FEL please (assuming you use it to pick up split wood - or is it just used for hay bales/silage, etc?), and how much smaller than the spacing can the wood be before too much of it falls through when picking up from a pile of split wood? I need something similar and still can't find what I'm looking for - probably b/c I can't decide exactly what I'm looking for :)

232785d1333929606-wp_000172-jpg

232787d1333929621-wp_000173-jpg

232788d1333929635-wp_000175-jpg

232789d1333929720-wp_000171-jpg

232790d1333929732-wp_000174-jpg

Last edited:
The spacing between each rake is 7in. I use it for lifting big logs and wood racks when my three points fork lift is not installed on a tractor. The spacing is too much large for splitted wood. It has an adaptor that slip onto the rake to make a bucket (I inserted an image).

Ok Jakers, I'll bite.
Here's my new splitter to replace the old splitter posted a few pages back. The guy you see built the splitter for me.

attachment.php

I like the splitter. I think it looks like a "all wood log splitter" made in Michigan. I wish I could see one of the big splitters splitting.

Looks strong and fast. I am still trying to find the ideal splitter. Only have three now. Either to slow or not enough power. I am still trying to find a you tube video of vertical press used to split big rounds into little chunks. I seen it once and can't find it again.

I like the splitter. I think it looks like a "all wood log splitter" made in Michigan. I wish I could see one of the big splitters splitting.

Looks strong and fast. I am still trying to find the ideal splitter. Only have three now. Either to slow or not enough power. I am still trying to find a you tube video of vertical press used to split big rounds into little chunks. I seen it once and can't find it again.

Yes, it is made by AllWood. Come and split some rounds with me. Its about 39 tons of splitting force, takes a 30" log and has a 8 second cycle time. Fast and strong was the goal. Sam shoot me a pm if you want to talk splitters.

Here are some photos of rounds split yesterday. It ate them like candy...

This oak round is about 38"
attachment.php

I didn't measure this maple round, but it was between 30" and 40"
attachment.php

This is my dad with a old chunk of white oak
attachment.php

I am pretty new to this posting business so bear with me. In a previous post that I believe was addressed to me Widow Maker asked how I lifted those heavies. I hope the picture gets on here. splitter got a little light over side but we got the round on the beam.

Before..when it worked

My Speeco..and my wood girl...

In happier times, the splitter working before multiple failures.

Yes, it is made by AllWood. Come and split some rounds with me. Its about 39 tons of splitting force, takes a 30" log and has a 8 second cycle time. Fast and strong was the goal. Sam shoot me a pm if you want to talk splitters.

Here are some photos of rounds split yesterday. It ate them like candy...

This oak round is about 38"
attachment.php

Does that thing need trailer brakes? :msp_wink:

Finally, life is gonna be a little easier, finished my splitter!!

I,ve been working on this splittler all winter, trying to get all the heights and things in the right position, and FINALLY! Here it is. 15.5 horse electric start, 22 gpm pump, dual stage valve for splitter and lift, hydraulic log lift, big table for splitts, and looks good to boot!View attachment 237022View attachment 237023View attachment 237024View attachment 237025

Last edited:
I,ve been working on this splittler all winter, trying to get all the heights and things in the right position, and FINALLY! Here it is. 15.5 horse electric start, 22 gpm pump, dual stage valve for splitter and lift, hydraulic log lift, big table for splitts, and looks good to boot!View attachment 237022View attachment 237023View attachment 237024View attachment 237025

Wow Mike she turned out sweet. Looks even better with wood on it. Nice job. Your pics didn't work, sorry. We'll work on that but in the meantime here they are.

View attachment 237028
attachment.php

View attachment 237029
attachment.php

View attachment 237030
attachment.php

View attachment 237031
attachment.php

Alright fellas here are the pics some of you were asking for. Thanks to Hedgegrow for helping me figure out how to post pics. Geesh waht a pain. Anyway this is my grandpas splitter on loan to me indefinately. He told me I might as well keep it here where it will get used. Fine by me. It might not be the fastest splitter but it's way faster than splitting by hand. I don't have any specs on the pump or ram but i'v never even had it struggle to split something. I tried to see what max pressure was by putting a maple round in it against the grain but it crushed it before the gauge got past 4000lbs. I'm not sure the gauge is accurate. I would have thought it would take more than 2 tons to crush a maple round in half lol. The engine is off an old ThermoKing refridgerated trailer. It's a a horizontally opposed twin cylinder. Looks like half a VW engine. It's got enough power that I usually split with the engine idling. Running at higher rpm's just seems to push the ram a tad faster but seems to poweer through just the same. The thing is built like a tank. I'll never have to worry about damaging it but it's a little overkill for me. The tongue weight is around 150lbs and total weight, im guessing, somewhere around a half ton so i cant move it with the 3 wheeler or the lawn mower. My grandpa said he hired a local welder to build it for him in the late seventies. I'v been using it since i was a kid and with a little maintanence should last ling enough for my future children to use it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

My grandpa said he hired a local welder to build it for him in the late seventies. I'v been using it since i was a kid and with a little maintanence should last ling enough for my future children to use it.

That's a pretty clean splitter for being that old with little maintenance. Very nice. :msp_thumbsup:

Just bumpin this thread back up there so any new comers can read it and post pics of what they use

Back