Wood Splitter Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake1297

Reaction score
I haven't seen this question but am curious. Which splitter is better, a splitter with the wedge attached to the ram? Or a push plate on the ram and the stationary wedge? Mine is on the ram, just wondering if they split better the other way? FYI mine is a MTD 26 ton and have complaints with it and it's 6 years old now.

I would say it depends on application and preference.

I like to split with the splitter in a vertical position. I can split for long periods of time and not feel it in my back. Therefore, I prefer the wedge on the ram.

I would say it depends on application and preference.

I like to split with the splitter in a vertical position. I can split for long periods of time and not feel it in my back. Therefore, I prefer the wedge on the ram.

+1.

My stuff is too big for horizontal splitting, so this is the only way to go for me.

Guess I'm the odd man out.

Have used both and much prefer the fixed wedge. Allows for the use of the slip on four way wedge, which is a real time saver. Also, if a piece gets stuck on the wedge, just use the next one to push it on through. No need to hammer an ugly off unlike the moving wedge.

As to getting a bigger piece on the splitter that I'm not comfortable lifting, if it's an easy piece I'll maul and wedge it in half. If that's not going to be successful, the PS7900 does a remarkably quick job of halving or quartering. (Something you can use as a justification for that size big saw you've been drooling over)

One man's opinion'
Take Care

I like the fixed wedge w/ hydraulic 4 way and log lift for the bruisers. I couldn't afford a TW6 so I built my own.

Don

Guess I'm the odd man out.

Have used both and much prefer the fixed wedge. Allows for the use of the slip on four way wedge, which is a real time saver. Also, if a piece gets stuck on the wedge, just use the next one to push it on through. No need to hammer an ugly off unlike the moving wedge.

As to getting a bigger piece on the splitter that I'm not comfortable lifting, if it's an easy piece I'll maul and wedge it in half.

I think that works for most folks, but my stuff is mostly on the 20-40" range, and a lot of it is crotches. Takes a heap of splitting!

With the Speeco design, and I think with the Northern, if you get a piece stuck, you just back up and it gets stripped off. No problem, no pounding.

wedge on ram

I posted pictures of our splitter here recently. The wedge is on the ram and the wedge is quite wide -pieces almost never get stuck. The trays hold the split pieces for either resplitting or tossing in the cart. From what I have seen of the fixed wedge you are constantly picking pieces up for resplit or you get a jammed up pile in front of the splitter. We have been lucky to get most logs 20 inch diameter or less. The larger ones get ripped with the saw so they can be lifted.

I have the wedge on beam and love it. But you do need a log lift for this. Her are some pictures I took today.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The fixed wedge on the beam can be narrower thus requiring less tonnage to split and allows for changing to a 4-way, but a log lift is almost needed for large blocks. The operator area is unobstructed and the motor and pump are out of harms way.
The splitters with the wedge on the ram need to be wider to allow for shaft clearance ,requiring slightly more pressure to split the same wood. All factory built splitters with the wedge on the ram are horizontal/vertical models with a couple rare exceptions. In the horizontal position the tires are usually in the way and the motor , filter , and reservoir are in harms way. In the vertical position operator area is clear, motor, filter ,and reservoir are safely protected. Large blocks require less lifting but the operator spends alot more time bending over.

Overall which is better depends on operator preference.

When it comes to home built splitters all deficiencies can be overcome with log lifts, tables,and conveyors.

I've never used a splitter with the wedge fixed on the end, only on the ram. But it seems to me that the split wood is so far away once it falls off the end. If the split piece needs splitting again it isnt within reach. It seems like it could be a two man operation.

Oh man you have started some thing now !!!!!!!

Which one is better coke or pepsi ?

That American is CAKE...sweet !!!!!!!

If this were at the end of that american......

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have a fixed wedge horizontal splitter. Once in awhile when splitting oak - the wood pops and jumps forward away from the splitter. If someone was standing in front they could get hit. Does this ever happen with the wedge mounted on the cylinder? Would you or the splitter get hit ?

I've never used a splitter with the wedge fixed on the end, only on the ram. But it seems to me that the split wood is so far away once it falls off the end. If the split piece needs splitting again it isnt within reach. It seems like it could be a two man operation.

That is why in/outfeed tables are put on. some also use a table on the end. I have a homebuilt with wedge on end and rarely have to move my feet except to pick up the next chunk to be split.

Chunks run through and the split pieces stay right there by the wedge unlessthey "pop" and fly. In that case I want them going away from me. I have seen them fly as much as 6 feet.

I am looking ot buy a commercial but can't find any except the 'tip-up' and I won't have one of them due to the 'works' being right in the way of the operator.

Harry K

I used to have this problem, but the woodcatcher/grate made life sooooooo much easier!
sp4.jpg

A lot of it [like anything] is what you get used to -

I used to have this problem, but the woodcatcher/grate made life sooooooo much easier!
sp4.jpg

A lot of it [like anything] is what you get used to -

My splitter is gonna be similar to this one, what width is your axle? does she tow well? Got any pics of how you attached the grid/shelf?

Love the tank, might resort to one of those myself :clap:

Cheers

:)

Dolmam, here's a pic of the mount for the woodcatcher. One bolt will take it off.
rackmount.jpg
Mostly it bears on the hitch bar. The tires are 4 ft on center, they're front hubs, bearings & wheels from a mid 70's Chevy, welded to a good 1/2" thick 4x4 angle iron. It tows fine, last time I did though was 10+ years ago, mostly it just stays here. The hydraulic tank, yea, thats me - too cheap to buy one for 75.00 or whatever the rate is now.

:clap:
Oh man you have started some thing now !!!!!!!

Which one is better coke or pepsi ?

That American is CAKE...sweet !!!!!!!

If this were at the end of that american......

attachment.php

I have one, just need to fix it up.:clap:

I like the way you think.....:cheers:

I have the wedge on beam and love it. But you do need a log lift for this. Her are some pictures I took today.

yo...rx.....that's one heck of a panel box on there. any special reason for it?

Back