wood splitter suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am just a cut and split wood guy for myself to have for the winter to save on electric bill and the joy of cutting wood and having a nice fire to sit by in the winter. But im wanting to buy a hydraulic splitter just for resedential use to maybe split 2 or 3 cords a yr 4 at most. Im wanting a vertical/horizontal splitter for I have back problems and some of the rounds I get I have no way of hoisting them up on the splitter if it was a horizontal setup. But what I am looking for are suggestions on a good splitter for the do it yourselfer type operation. I dont cut and split wood to make money just for my own use and to stay at least a yr ahead on my wood supply so it wouldnt get used 24/7. I dont want to spend more than 1500 dollars tops on a brand new one and would like to find a good used one thats in good shape but needs fixing like new hoses or motor work for I am mechanically inclined and love to tinker, or a used one with low hours and no fixing needed works too but just want to get a good one and one that suits my minimal needs for splitting. thanks for all suggetions..

I have bought two used ones and split a ton at under $200 each. If you buy a good new one rent it out to cover more of the the cost.

Well, a lot depends on what you're splitting. What kind of wood, how big, etc.

For me, lot of what I get is big butt ends and crotches from a log processor. A 40" oak butt is not out of the ordinary for me, and gnarly crotches are routine. So, I need a pretty big splitter. I got the Huskee/Speeco 35 ton, and it does the job for me.

If you're splitting smaller stuff you can sure do just fine with a smaller splitter. Tell us what you typically split, and we can target our advice better.

Oh, and you can be sure someone will come along and tell you to buy a Timberwolf 'cause it's the best, even though you have no need of a commercial grade splitter. I think it massages their ego or something. :laugh:

Anyway, in my book, the Speeco line is the best bang for the buck for the home user. There are BETTER, but I don't know of any better - nor even EQUAL - in that price range. They are FAR superior to the MTD junk you find at the big box stores. To get the same quality you have to go to something that's about twice the price, like the Iron & Oak (Brave) or the American.

And they have a feature that nobody else has, as far as I know. They have a built-in log cradle. The top of the beam wraps around to guide the wedge, and that wrap around makes a kind of trough. So, you slap a round up there and you can take your hands completely off of it. You don't have to balance a round of wood on a flat beam. I really like that feature!

For me, lot of what I get is big butt ends and crotches from a log processor. A 40" oak butt is not out of the ordinary for me, and gnarly crotches are routine. So, I need a pretty big splitter. I got the Huskee/Speeco 35 ton, and it does the job for me.

If you're splitting smaller stuff you can sure do just fine with a smaller splitter. Tell us what you typically split, and we can target our advice better.

Oh, and you can be sure someone will come along and tell you to buy a Timberwolf 'cause it's the best, even though you have no need of a commercial grade splitter. I think it massages their ego or something. :laugh:

Anyway, in my book, the Speeco line is the best bang for the buck for the home user. There are BETTER, but I don't know of any better - nor even EQUAL - in that price range. They are FAR superior to the MTD junk you find at the big box stores. To get the same quality you have to go to something that's about twice the price, like the Iron & Oak (Brave) or the American.

And they have a feature that nobody else has, as far as I know. They have a built-in log cradle. The top of the beam wraps around to guide the wedge, and that wrap around makes a kind of trough. So, you slap a round up there and you can take your hands completely off of it. You don't have to balance a round of wood on a flat beam. I really like that feature!

And the topper on the Huskee right now is Tractor Supply Co. has the 10 percent off cards out if you can find one. If not they'd probably honor it if you mentioned it to them.

well this year I scored some pin oak ranging from 34 inches at large end to 22 inches at smallest.. and also had some silver maple that at the ground was about 40 inches and then all way to the top to the smaller stuff..so I would be splitting in about that range of size wood .. most of my wood is harvested on my property for I have no way of hauling it.. but the oak I lucked into and got for free and have five 6 foot long pieces ranging in the sizes mentioned above. I only had to pay a guy with a bobcat and trailer 50 bucks to haul it less than 3 miles and unload and move it to where I wanted it at in my yard..so thats the extent of my range of wood splitting..

Fiskars makes a hydraulic splitter?!
I have a Fiskars ax, and its nice and all, but seriously he said he has a bad back, regardless a real splitter is where its at. My 22 ton Harbor Freight has gone thru about 40 cords now and will split just about anything. Find a used one and save $$$.

I you only are going to do (4) cords per year the Fiskers is the way to go......

Craig

yeah I have a fiskars and I love it but even after using it for a while it starts hurting my back..so for the sake and longeveity of my back I would rather play it safe and use a hydraulic splitter.. but dont need a fancy commercial grade one. Just need something fairly strong and reliable.. friend has a 7 ton electric one and about only thing its good for is kindling wood or really small yard branches..so definately want a gas powered one witha at least a 22 ton rating..but with all suggestions so far I know what I need to keep an eye out for.

I got a Swisher 22 ton from Rural King last year and really like it. My brother and I use it all the time.

It can do Horz, or Vert positions. However I find it easer to split in the Horz position. If I split in the Vert position my back starts to hurt. I only split the large and heavy pieces to smaller size in the Vert position then I switch to the Horz position.

I would suggest keeping an eye on Craigslist for a used one. It seems that there are always some people who are getting out of firewood cutting and they want to sell the equipment.
Otherwise if you are handy with welding, or know someone who is, and you said you are mechanically inclined so you should start scrounging stuff to build your own.
There are hundreds of people on this forum who will give you lots of suggestions on how to build a splitter of your dreams!

I've used a 4" ram shop built, 27 T Troy built, and a 35T Speeco. For larger stuff the horz/vert is the only way to go. If I can barely roll a 30" to 36" log it would be hard to lift it. I know that I can noodle it, but I like the 5" ram vert better. The factory cradle works great on the 35T speeco.

I would recommend the speeco/tsc 35 ton. I have one and never have had an issue with any split. the customer service is second to none!

yeah I have a fiskars and I love it but even after using it for a while it starts hurting my back..so for the sake and longeveity of my back I would rather play it safe and use a hydraulic splitter.. but dont need a fancy commercial grade one. Just need something fairly strong and reliable.. friend has a 7 ton electric one and about only thing its good for is kindling wood or really small yard branches..so definately want a gas powered one witha at least a 22 ton rating..but with all suggestions so far I know what I need to keep an eye out for.

Nomak,

The splitter I have been eyeing up has been the 22 Ton unit from Tractor Supply. For 1000 bucks it's the best deal going and also has the fastest cycle time. You also can add a cradle to it really easy too.

Craig

my two cents

a few other members have mentioned the huskee/speeko

And the topper on the Huskee right now is Tractor Supply Co. has the 10 percent off cards out if you can find one. If not they'd probably honor it if you mentioned it to them.

Well,

I've used a 4" ram shop built, 27 T Troy built, and a 35T Speeco. For larger stuff the horz/vert is the only way to go. If I can barely roll a 30" to 36" log it would be hard to lift it. I know that I can noodle it, but I like the 5" ram vert better. The factory cradle works great on the 35T speeco.

I would recommend the speeco/tsc 35 ton. I have one and never have had an issue with any split. the customer service is second to none!

I agree with all the points above

I acquired one a few years back, and, I'm a fan, while not the fastest cycle time, it seems like a well built dependable unit for the money -- even new--

Mine, I bartered work for splitter and am lucky that it came about. I think they offer them with either aHonda or Briggs and Stratton engine. I would have opted for the Honda, but I didn't have the choice and mine came with the Briggs-- and I have to say nothing wrong with that one either.

While they do cost a little bit more(the bigger ones) I think the initial outlay for the larger ones is more than offset by the dependability, life expectancy --if it doesn't have to work as hard every part is less prone to failure. The 35 ton I think will last me for my lifetime-- 20 years or so happily munching through it's 25 cords a year or so. And if I decide to sell it--- it holds its value fairly well... I don't see new splitters getting any cheaper as the price of raw materials goes up.

I have a Swisher 22 ton and have split about 20 cords with it. No complaints with it. The B/S engine starts 1st or 2nd pull every time. Mine had set on the dealers lot for 2 years and I bought it for $875. 3 yr. warranty. Built strong. American made in Missouri. Check them out at Swisher.com

Back