Wood splitter tow modification?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowroy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a North Star 30-ton wood splitter. It is tow-able now but 45mph is as fast as you can tow it. I have been thinking about getting a set of rubber torsion axles and bigger hubs and wheels so I can tow it up to 65mph. The axles have been warm to the touch a couple times and this just worries me. I thought torsion axles would be a good idea simply so it wouldn't be so rigid and absorb some of the potholes and such. What's your thoughts?

i see no reason why it wouldnt work fine. you could always just buy the stub spindles for boat and utility trailers too. then chop off the old ones and weld on the new ones with bigger bearings and tires

i see no reason why it wouldnt work fine. you could always just buy the stub spindles for boat and utility trailers too. then chop off the old ones and weld on the new ones with bigger bearings and tires

I did think of that until I wanted a little shock absorption, that's when I thought torsion.

Just remember that if you use the vertical position to split, the height of the center of the axles will have to change. Otherwise the baseplate will be hanging in the air.

Just remember that if you use the vertical position to split, the height of the center of the axles will have to change. Otherwise the baseplate will be hanging in the air.

This is the very reason to change the axles totally instead of just putting bigger wheels on it. At first that was my thought, that I could just put bigger wheels and tires and it would obviously slow down the bearings and allow me to tow it faster. But it would have basically rendered the vertical split position useless. From what I read, there are not a lot of people here that split vertical, but since there are a lot of big oak trees dieing in my area I use it a lot because I am not a fan of noodling. I just buck up logs up to 32" and roll them over to the splitter and split em a 1/4 at a time.

I am sure the little engine can take a beating, but I would rather cushion it a little simply for personal preference.

I work the almost same way as you. No body takes the big stuff, so it is plentyful. I try to do all my bucking and splitting at home. I have an arch for the big stuff or I get it loaded onto a trailer. Larger diameter tires would be nice for towing faster and farther, but I rarely do it.

Sounds like it would potentially cause issues with operation if you modded the splitter. I haul mine in a trailer if it needs to go somewhere other than home. You wouldn't have to worry about the speed or losing it over pot holes etc with it on a trailer. Added bonus is you can haul other things around with the trailer when not being used for the splitter. Have a good chunk of a new trailer paid for at TSC with just the cost of a torsion axle alone.

Something to think about.

Suspension is nice but not needed. By far the most important thing when towing is a fuel shut off valve to keep fuel from getting in the engine oil. Read your manual. Splitters don't weigh much for the most part so I deflate the tires a bit. Same with the conveyor which I towed from Iowa to Michigan when I bought it used. I called the manufacturer and that's what they do running around the country in the summer to shows and fair events. Picked up some magnetic tow lights for that Iowa trip that I now use on the splitter when towing any distance and I don't have to worry about getting caught past dark. My old Speeco has a Volkswagon axle and 15" wheels under it, a modification the previous owner did to tow it through his apple orchard behind a tractor. You can go to the junkyard, unbolt the rear spindle on a front wheel drive car and buy space saver spare tires for cheep. They, the junkyard, have a dozen of these two wheeled wheel barrows built that way for customers to haul tools/parts. Just some ideas to kick around. Good luck!

Thanks for the opinions! I am leaning away from the modification now because like one fella said buy the time I bought the axles I could have knocked a big chunk out of a trailer which I need and don't have.

The axles are more expensive than I originally thought. They were priced each, but I thought they were priced as a set at $159. Then by the time I buy new wheels and tires it's really gonna get pricey.

Go the trailer route and buy plenty of straps to hold it on there. Splitters are typically very short and high centered...saw one go over on a ramp to the highway once. Looked over at the wife and said "watch this...we got front row seats to a cluster fudge". Thing went up on one wheel nice and slow, then came unhooked and the guy was looking at a new engine and several road rashed hoses.

I have a tw-6 with 15" tires/rims and it always rides on the trailer. I just don'tlike towing things I can't see.

Go the trailer route and buy plenty of straps to hold it on there. Splitters are typically very short and high centered...saw one go over on a ramp to the highway once. Looked over at the wife and said "watch this...we got front row seats to a cluster fudge". Thing went up on one wheel nice and slow, then came unhooked and the guy was looking at a new engine and several road rashed hoses.

I have a tw-6 with 15" tires/rims and it always rides on the trailer. I just don'tlike towing things I can't see.

A few years back one came unhooked on a local "highway" -- 45mph but everybody goes 60 -- and killed a mother and son in the car behind. Can happen with anything, obviously, but I'd let a manufacturer take the liability of designing a splitter designed for highway towing.

A few years back one came unhooked on a local "highway" -- 45mph but everybody goes 60 -- and killed a mother and son in the car behind. Can happen with anything, obviously, but I'd let a manufacturer take the liability of designing a splitter designed for highway towing.

And ALWAYS use the safety chains. Always!

I like torsion axles but have never researched them. Do they offer an axle that would be soft enough to absorb the weight of the splitter? Most torsion axles I have seen are on bigger trailers, 10k and up. Just a thought.

I like torsion axles but have never researched them. Do they offer an axle that would be soft enough to absorb the weight of the splitter? Most torsion axles I have seen are on bigger trailers, 10k and up. Just a thought.

The ones I was lookin at were for 1k, but they had them for 500 and 2k also.

When considering towing a log splitter here are a few things to look at.
The rims, are they like a yard trailer wheel, 2 stamped pieces of metal spot welded together with a single nut holding them to the spindle.
Axle manufacturers derate spindles ,bearings ,and axles by 50% when used without suspension.
Is the tounge a sturdy tube or just a u-shaped piece of metal?

Latest posts

Back