Wood Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, i still haven't made up my mind??? I'm goin' shoppin' today and plan on comin' home with one! :)

:greenchainsaw:

Did you find a Brave dealer?

Only one near me was a box store...so i elected to go with the Ariens 27 ton model! I purchased it from my local stihl dealer and am confident if any problem ever arises, it will be taken care of through them! Cost a little more money, but i'd rather support him than a box store!

Thanks for all your replies!!!

What I don't like about most if not all of the box store splitters is that the axle/wheel is right in the work area. If they turned the beam around and put the foot plate at the front, and slid the tank/engine assembly back under the rear part of the cylinder, the work area would be free. It just wouldn't go vertical anymore.

Ian

abtsofrickinlutley !
I was looking at a troy built today at lowes .seems like a decent rig . but where the hell do I put my size 14 boots while operating the damn wheels are in the way !

Toy,
I would tell you to stay away from the 3 -pt hitch models if you only have one tractor. A free standing tow behind splitter can be set up and run while you can use the loader to move the logs you split. I would advise you to get a unit that can be repaired locally. And then get a work table for it like the one I have on mine.

i agree on the 3 PT hitch ones.

i use the tractor grapple for a log lift sometimes so i would have literally been chasing my tail.

you were smart buying from the Stihl dealer.no parts and service from the box stores.i cannot believe how no one sees that coming.

Only one near me was a box store...so i elected to go with the Ariens 27 ton model! I purchased it from my local stihl dealer and am confident if any problem ever arises, it will be taken care of through them! Cost a little more money, but i'd rather support him than a box store!

Thanks for all your replies!!!

Good deal! Don't know anything about the Ariens machines, but as long as the welds are good and they use good steel, you should have a fine machine.

Now, let's see some pics of that Ariens doing what it does with a big pile of wood!!! ;)

abtsofrickinlutley !
I was looking at a troy built today at lowes .seems like a decent rig . but where the hell do I put my size 14 boots while operating the damn wheels are in the way !

I had the same opinion until I ran it some. My size 13s don't seem to have much of a problem now. Maybe I have compensated or something but I don't even notice the wheel when runnign it anymore.

One of my real complaints with it is that 'dead-end' pocket back by the yoke mount. Trash builds up and packs in there. I have to reach back under the extended ram to clear it out. Stupid as the back end could have been left open and the slide would keep it clear.

Hary K

Last edited:
Toy,
I would tell you to stay away from the 3 -pt hitch models if you only have one tractor. A free standing tow behind splitter can be set up and run while you can use the loader to move the logs you split. I would advise you to get a unit that can be repaired locally. And then get a work table for it like the one I have on mine.

Well i do have more than one tractor and i think i have the local repair taken care of:cheers: I did indeed buy one with the work table

(quote)i use the tractor grapple for a log lift sometimes so i would have literally been chasing my tail.

you were smart buying from the Stihl dealer.no parts and service from the box stores.i cannot believe how no one sees that coming. (quote)

I couldn't agree more...I'm sure i made the right choice!

I have had alot of other irons in the fire, but i did get to use it today. It is an awesome unit, and i'm tickled to death with it so far!

just got this ariens 34 ton for 1599.00 from h.d. a little more than you wanted to spend..

no reports yet hope to get it splittin nxt. week.

herman

:jawdrop:

Ariens??? Wow! They have a good name in snowblowers, but... Sorry, but that is one flimsy looking machine!! I hope it holds up better than it looks.

Your not hurtin my feelings any...However compared to any of the other store bought ones, i think it is a high quality unit.

I have been extremely happy with our NorthStar Horizontal/Vertical Log Splitter 22-Ton. That I picked up from northern tool, the one they sell now is a little different from mine but should work just as good. It has split around 30 cords for me, mostly oak with out any problems this year. We did make a few little modifications to make it a little bit more user friendly.

Speeco 25 ton, H/V, it'll be over 150 cords this season. No performance issues what so ever.

For $1K its hard to beat.

Enough power to cut through what it doesn't split apart.

+1
While I have only split about 10 cords, mine has worked well. Speeco customer service has been great also.

Just like to check in and say that after splitting around 15 cords so far...I couldn't be happier with my purchase! Haven't found anything that will stop it, as long as you have the balls to pull the lever!!

Sorry for the delay, but just figuring out how to post pics without the wife's help!

It's had alot of use since this pic was taken! :welcome:

1121091150.jpg

Huskee 35 Ton

My Huskee 35 ton splits anything I have put on the cradle and a lot of it has been elm. I believe Tractor Supply is selling the $1,799.00 regular priced item at $1,699.00 plus tax.

What I'd like to mention about the price is this - they often send out coupons good for a 10% discount. I used a coupon when I bought the splitter. I have not checked but they may have a website which allows printing of coupons.

Nosmo

What I don't like about most if not all of the box store splitters is that the axle/wheel is right in the work area. If they turned the beam around and put the foot plate at the front, and slid the tank/engine assembly back under the rear part of the cylinder, the work area would be free. It just wouldn't go vertical anymore.

Ian

And most Horizontal only machines are set up like that..

Back