Wood Stove for fireplace?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chimney insert install. I have a 12in. square tile exterior chimney. The damper was first wired open. Then a 6in stainless liner was put together and dropped down the 12in. hole. A flexible stainless 6in. oval liner was then attached from the bottom to the one dropped in from above. A buddy raised it from above, and the flexible was adjusted to go around the damper. Cerwool insulation was then stuffed around the bottom of the pipe and around the top. The stove was then slid into place and the flexible was attached. A flat sheet of stainless was cut to slide over the 6in. above. It was siliconed into place and the cap was installed.

Never seen one like that.Sounds like a transitional piece.
I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but the first insert we had when I was a kid was just placed in the fireplace.By the end of the first year the 12x12 flue was down to around 1x1.This was a center chimney and we had dry wood.This was in the 70's and very few people remembered how to burn wood...in an airtight stove, no less.We know how to do it safer, now, and one the reasons for this forum is to share our stupid moments in hopes that we can save others from doing the same dumb things.There is a right way to vent a stove or insert through a chimney, and it is with a stainless steel liner.Any other way and you are fooling yourself.

i will just sweep the chimney every year. it was kind of nasty this year but by no means a 1x1 hole. i can run the damper closed and door open with no smoke in the house. i wouldnt even begin to know how to hook a liner up. the insert fills the entire fireplace.

Never seen one like that.Sounds like a transitional piece.
I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but the first insert we had when I was a kid was just placed in the fireplace.By the end of the first year the 12x12 flue was down to around 1x1.This was a center chimney and we had dry wood.This was in the 70's and very few people remembered how to burn wood...in an airtight stove, no less.We know how to do it safer, now, and one the reasons for this forum is to share our stupid moments in hopes that we can save others from doing the same dumb things.There is a right way to vent a stove or insert through a chimney, and it is with a stainless steel liner.Any other way and you are fooling yourself.

The man has it .....listen, read. You'll save yourself a whole lot of grief, and maybe the house. No joke.

so does the stainless liner need to be triple wall or just a single stainless pipe?? and does it need to actually connect to the stove??? is this more of a safety item??

I just had a liner placed in mine this year. I had used a Fuego fireplace insert and the 8" by 12" clay flue from the old fireplace for about 12 years. Had to clean way up in there every year, and last year it started burning up in there for the second time. So we pulled the unit out and ran a 7" ovalized liner from top right to the unit, what a difference, the draft is great and I am using about 1/2 the wood. I used to go through at least 10 cords a year. Now this will be simple to clean. I learned the hard way. Good luck!

so does the stainless liner need to be triple wall or just a single stainless pipe?? and does it need to actually connect to the stove??? is this more of a safety item??

We used single wall, very thick stuff and filled the space with vermiculite and portland cement mix.

The liner is single wall, stainless flex.I got a 30' kit on ebay.It does need to be attached to your stove.I have used it both insulated and not, and the insulated is better.You simply wrap it before you install it in your chimney.Again, the stuff is inexpensive enough that it is a no-brainer.You will, as others have mentioned, also save wood.

single wall stainless will be fine if its insulated at the top and bottom. once your flue gets warm the pipe will insulate itself. yes it does need to be connected to the stove. its a safety item for sure. otherwise you are defeating the purpose of the liner.

I hope to be installing mine this weekend. If I do I'll post pictures so you can see what it looks like.

Latest posts

Back