Wood Stove Installation Using Window Opening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That just look's so nice! I never thought of anyone heating with wood in the southern U.S other than for cooking, but them moist cloudy day's do make you want a fire, just be glad your not looking at -30 or -40;)

that looks nice , but is that legal , I thought you couldn't put it within 48" of a window ?

Richard, I don't know whether it's "legal" or not only that it was the only place to put the stove in that room, and it seems to work very well with no hot spots anywhere on the woodwork even when the door temp is 550 and the catalytic unit is 1200.

Besides, it's my house and my installation. I suppose the insurance company might take issue but I see no danger whatsoever, at least compared to any other wood burning device regardless of location.

Now that you mention it, even my Buck Stove upstairs is within 48 inches of a French Door, and it's right in the corner of the room. Looking around here, it would be very difficult to install a stove without being near a door or window unless it was in the center of the room away from all the walls. :(

Please give me the reference/s regarding the 48" limit since I'm not aware of that particular rule. I'd appreciate it.

OK, I started to post this in the "joke thread" since it was pretty amusing to me for a few minutes, but since we're on this subject, I decided to put it here.

A few minutes ago I did my pre bedtime routine this time of year, which is to stoke up the stove/s so we'd have some good coals in the wee hours of the morning. First, I filled up the Buck Stove and adjusted the dampers using a giant paperclip type device to stop the flue damper just before full shut. For some reason the last notch allows a little smoke back in the room. Anyway, I then filled up the cast iron stove downstairs and gave it a little air to get things going good before closing the dampers down for the night. I needed one more piece to fill up the box so I chose a round to top it off. Unfortunately the round was a good bit bigger on one end than the other, and it had a short limb sticking out which was not cut off flush. This made it impossible to fit in the already full box but it didn't mean the new piece couldn't catch on fire in the process - which it did:dizzy: I pulled it out and set it on the tile floor, small end up, while I tried to rearrange the wood in the stove so it would fit. This routine was repeated three or four times until I gave up and got a smaller piece. Now the piece was burning on one end and smoldering on the sides. So I had no choice but to put on gloves and haul it upstairs to put in the larger stove.

Has anyone else had to move burning firewood around their house:confused:

Long time ago, before I fixed my stove.
My stove was not air tight at all.
my stove was full with relatively newly fed logs.
The temperature just kept going up to the point my stove would be damaged.
All of my attempts to shut air down faild.
I pulled burning longs piece by piece and ran across my house to out side.
My house was filled with smoke, while my wife and kids watch me doing that.

Noko

Happened to me a few times. I also have Vermont Castings Stove and same thing. I was trying to stuff that last log in for night and sure enough it caught fire nice but could not close top :jawdrop:

I have a metal garbage can about 24 inches in height I use for my ashes and I just ran and broght the metal can in house with the lid on it. I removed the lid and used my tongs to pull burning log out and set in in can, set lid on and placed it OUTSIDE in safe place:clap:

Nicely done! Maybe you mentioned this already, but what model of VC stove is that?

It's the Dutchwest model 2460 (small) with cat. Sorry I took so long to respond, but didn't see the question 'til just now.

Last edited:
Looks a whole boatload better than what I was expecting to see.. Ought work just fine.

Yeah, when I saw the thread title, I was thinking, "This isn't going to be good!", and picturing something that would make Jed Clampett ashamed.

That's nice work! :clap::clap::clap:

Latest posts

Back