Wood stove research... which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claimed Efficiency numbers. Can you trust them? Is there a standard for determining this number or does every manufacturer make up their own tests?

The best one I've seen so far is a Regency F2400 at 77%.

Ian

I don't know about a standard test, but that recency model is the medium firebox design. If it were me, I'd want the largest they make since I heat my whole house with my stove. The larger one is stated at 71% efficient.
JC

Claimed Efficiency numbers
IMO just another meaningless specification for wood stoves. Way too many variables to compare with. Probably looks good on a brochure though.
What is important about stoves is almost impossible to know beforehand ( how well they heat and how long the fire will last ) unless you know of someone using a specific model to see for your self.

Earl put one in his shop this past year and the results were almost too good. He bought an old stove off craigs list for about $200.00. Nothing pretty just functional. His shop is 26x80. The heat is so intense he wears a light tee shirt out there with the service door open while working. And the stove is seriously throttled back. Most nights he has a good coal base in the morning to continue with. He is very happy with the investment.

I don't know about a standard test, but that Recency model is the medium firebox design. If it were me, I'd want the largest they make since I heat my whole house with my stove. The larger one is stated at 71% efficient.
JC

Well, in comparing numbers, the Jotul F500 has 70k btu and they say it will heat up to a 2000 sq ft home. Their F600 has 81.5k btu and they say it will heat a 2500 sq ft home. The Regency F2400 claims 75k btu, so in theory, it should do great with my 1800 sq ft and do so with less wood. I don't live in Maine or Minnesota, so I'm not dealing with sub-zero temps either. If it gets down to the single digits, it's a day here and there, not weeks straight. 15 degrees is a cold day here and it doesn't generally stay there long thank goodness.

IMO just another meaningless specification for wood stoves. Way too many variables to compare with. Probably looks good on a brochure though.

That's kinda what I figured but when you're window shopping, all you have to go on is what they give you on the specs page. :dizzy:

Ian

Anyone ever notice that the Avalon and Lopi web sites share exactly the same design? The Avalon Rainier and the Lopi Endeavor stoves have exactly the same specs. I'm beginning to think it's the same stove marketed under different brands.

Ian

Just confirmed with the dealer that they are indeed the same company, or one owns the other, and those stoves are the same. The Avalon Spokane is $1561 and the Lopi Endeavor is $2025. Go figure.

Ian

Just confirmed with the dealer that they are indeed the same company, or one owns the other, and those stoves are the same. The Avalon Spokane is $1561 and the Lopi Endeavor is $2025. Go figure.

Ian

Have him price a Lopi Republic 1750. The Endeavor looks a little nicer IMO, the Spokane and Republic look like the same stoves.

Mine has the pewter door option but I like the step top design of the Endeavor.

The Lopi site didn't have a good pic so here's mine:

attachment.php

The Lopi Republic:

attachment.php

And the Spokane:

attachment.php

I also noticed the Republic and Spokane don't have the flu bypass lever on the right side like the Endeavor. It may be on the other side but I would ask the dealer about that as well.

I'm going to have to drive down there and have a look sometime in the next couple weeks.

The stove dealer in Lexington turned me on to a company called "Lexington Forge" which set up here locally in Paris, Kentucky. They make a "Savannah" which he said is a copy of the Regency F2400. He ran one in his showroom this past winter and said he actually liked it better than the F2400. It's made locally too so that is good. They're within about $100 of each other price wise.

About the BTU and efficiency numbers. I called 2 dealers today and asked them if they could be trusted and both of them said it was pure marketing and not much more.

The F2400 claims 75,000 BTUs in the spec sheet and in comparing that number to other manufacturers, it should be a 2000sq ft class stove. The Lexington Forge claims 55,400 BTUs and 2000 sq ft capable and the dealer says they're equivalent stoves.

Ian

Haywire is the "savannah" an east-west loader or is the firebox deep enough to allow north-south loading?I ask because I saw a Lexington Forge at a local dealerlast fall and it was too shallow for n-s loading(although it seems reasonably well-built)

It only loads the regular way which means the firebox isn't as large in that dimension. It is slightly wider as it will take a 20" log as opposed the 18 of the 2400. Hmmm... bigger firebox = more heat now or longer burn later eh?

Ian

Edit.. looking at materials, the Savannah is supposed to be 5/16" plate all around. I don't see where the regency says. The other stoves I've been looking at say 3/16-5/16".

Do these things ever burn out or is the extra thickness not really important?

Ian

Last edited:
True,but given the choice I'll take a n-s loader anyday.I have an e-w loader in the basement and I find it won't hold as much wood as a n-s loader....and the FRIGGIN logs like to roll out during a reload!grrrr:mad:

The Savannah specs out a 2 cu ft firebox, no specific dims. How tall is the box on your 2400? I assume that since it takes an 18" log in both directions that it's at least 18.5" wide and long.

Ian

I don't live in Maine or Minnesota, so I'm not dealing with sub-zero temps either. If it gets down to the single digits, it's a day here and there, not weeks straight. 15 degrees is a cold day here and it doesn't generally stay there long thank goodness. Ian

That would be the deciding factor for me Ian. Our Regency stove is tooooo small for our northern winters. Should have gone one size larger to the biggest one. You can always build a small fire in a big stove but not the other way around. For your weather I would stay conservative in size or you will be living outside when the fire is one :dizzy:

Do these things ever burn out or is the extra thickness not really important?Ian

Typically they burn (wear) out under the top where the hot air (fire) strikes it as it clears the smoke shelf (baffle). Ask at your woodstove dealer and they can usually show you and tell you about this. Our dealer has old stoves in the back to show off (and scare you into loosening the purse-strings).

Wood stove...

I've been burning wood only for the last 6 years with a Lopi Answer (Travis industries), great stove. Originally heating about 1,000 sq. ft. of a poorly insulated 1940's house. Now I use it in a much larger (equally drafty) 1930's farm house, along with occasionally stoking up an old Nashua with a blower that cranks.

The Answer is not that big , I'd look into the Endeavor with cook top and larger box.

Both have very low minimum side and setbacks to walls.

:cheers:
Good luck!

I read somewhere that the F2400 has a 2.5cu.ft. firebox.It is 18.5" wide(brick to brick)10" at center(under middle burn tube)and 19.25" deep.Regency uses 5/16 plate steel,P.E. uses 3/8".....I doubt you could burn out either one as long as all the firebrick are in place.

Last edited:
Well, my AC died today, second day I had it on this season. That lump of inert copper and wiring on the pad outside my window might be my wood stove. :cry: :cry: It's 12 years old. I hope it's just unconscious and not dead.

Ian

Latest posts

Back