Wood Stoves and Insurance Co's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VINIFIREWOOD

I only no what I know
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a new stove, I currently have an OLD Hearthstone II in nice shape but with no UL tag, and was wondering, with all the different brands and material used, is there any type of ratings put out by the Insurance Co's or anyone else as to the good the bad and the ugly. Better brands, materials etc.

The Insurance compainies are wanting a tested wood burner by an accredited lab and that is installed to code.

Are you from White Bear Lake....Hamm's...the brew that grew with the great northwest!
Hamm's...home of the sky blue water!

From my experience, the insurance companies could care less what kind of stove you put in,what they are interested in is HOW its put in.My insurance company wanted it to be installed by a "certified" installer and balked big time when I installed it myself.Once our agent saw what I did to ensure that it was safe, he thought it borderlined into overkill.He didnt even look at the stove,but the install job and the hearth construction.

I have an old hearthstone II also and love it. Mine was bought in 1986 and still going strong. There is one on ebay right now and is in real real nice condition. biding is around $600 and new ones are about $1800-$2000

The Insurance compainies are wanting a tested wood burner by an accredited lab and that is installed to code.

Are you from White Bear Lake....Hamm's...the brew that grew with the great northwest!Hamm's...home of the sky blue water!

That would be Schmidt...:cheers:

footerpages.png

Hs ii

I am using 1984 HS II.
It is very nice.

I am glad to find people using it.

Noko

Last edited:

Are you from White Bear Lake....Hamm's...the brew that grew with the great northwest!
Hamm's...home of the sky blue water!

Actually just west of you a few miles, Cuyuna.
My current stove sits in a corner hearth in the basement with the bottom and sides being constructed of brick. This was built proir to me purchasing the home.

attachment.php

I'm looking at buying a new stove, I currently have an OLD Hearthstone II in nice shape but with no UL tag, and was wondering, with all the different brands and material used, is there any type of ratings put out by the Insurance Co's or anyone else as to the good the bad and the ugly. Better brands, materials etc.

You're hoping to find some ratings to help you decide which one to buy? If so, i think you're barking up the wrong tree.

I don't think the insurance companies care one bit about quality, longevity, or efficiency of woodstoves. All they care about is SAFETY. I'd be shocked if they knew a good stove from a cheapo.

For recommendations on which stove to buy, just ask right here on AS. :cheers:

Actually just west of you a few miles, Cuyuna.
My current stove sits in a corner hearth in the basement with the bottom and sides being constructed of brick. This was built proir to me purchasing the home.

attachment.php

Looks like you haven't tried the Hearthstone? While some of the newer stoves are more efficient, I would use it before spending a bunch on a new one.Try it, you'll like it!

Looks like you haven't tried the Hearthstone? While some of the newer stoves are more efficient, I would use it before spending a bunch on a new one.Try it, you'll like it!

Kinda a long story so I won't bore you but yes I used it all last season rite where it sits but for insurance reasons I unhooked it. Now we are working with a new Ins Co.

It may also have to do with the local building codes. Our towns' inspector required UL listed, and I needed to submit a copy of the owners and installation manuals. Insurance company never looked at it, as long as it was signed off by the local inspector.

I don't think the insurance companies care one bit about quality, longevity, or efficiency of woodstoves. All they care about is SAFETY. I'd be shocked if they knew a good stove from a cheapo.

For recommendations on which stove to buy, just ask right here on AS. :cheers:

I tend to dissagree.
Doesn't quality go hand in hand with overall safety of a product?
As far as asking which stove to buy, I actually do use the search funtion and have read many a thread on the subject but there is always two sides to every story so why not hear it from the other side if you can.

Kinda a long story so I won't bore you but yes I used it all last season rite where it sits but for insurance reasons I unhooked it. Now we are working with a new Ins Co.

If you liked the stove, I would contact Hearthstone and see if they have/had a UL listing for that stove.Always fun to spend money on a stove, but even more fun to spend it on Duramax goodies!(ask me how I know)

My insurance company basically wanted my woodstove and chimney inspected and passed by the local building inspector (building permit). (Then the insurance man came out after it passed inspection to take pictures, measurements, and look at the label on the back of the woodstove.)

Then the building inspector wanted to see that the woodstove had an EPA label, and that everything was installed to manufacturer's installation instructions/code.

So EPA label means new woodstove around here.

Also the insurance company "added" my woodstove to my policy. Then I was covered should there be a fire resulting from the woodstove. HOWEVER, installing everything to code and manufacturer's instructions almost guarantees a fire from this to be unlikely! Thus the reason they now are happy to cover me! :)

My insurance company basically wanted my woodstove and chimney inspected and passed by the local building inspector (building permit). (Then the insurance man came out after it passed inspection to take pictures, measurements, and look at the label on the back of the woodstove.)

Then the building inspector wanted to see that the woodstove had an EPA label, and that everything was installed to manufacturer's installation instructions/code.

So EPA label means new woodstove around here.

Also the insurance company "added" my woodstove to my policy. Then I was covered should there be a fire resulting from the woodstove. HOWEVER, installing everything to code and manufacturer's instructions almost guarantees a fire from this to be unlikely! Thus the reason they now are happy to cover me! :)

I'm surprised they even allow wood burners out there.When I lived in Seattle 15 years ago they were tying to outlaw them.

I tend to dissagree.
Doesn't quality go hand in hand with overall safety of a product?
As far as asking which stove to buy, I actually do use the search funtion and have read many a thread on the subject but there is always two sides to every story so why not hear it from the other side if you can.

Quality and safety has nothing to do with each other....just ask Toyota. I just read an article yesterday written about that and most people confuse quality with safety and Toyota has learned a hard lesson there. A thing called SMS ( Safety Management System) has become an intricate part of aviation in the few years and makes a clear distinction between the two.

Latest posts

Back