Wood that wont burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a man with a grandiose mustache, glasses and a silly wink (looks like a guy who loves his Scotch), you make a lot of sense. :D :D

Unfortunately, I make more sense than I do cents.

Don't drink, but my brother likes scotch quite a bit. Here he is:

attachment.php

www.noahpeterson.com

Green wood will not burn. That means wood that is cut green and sitting on 40% moisture content or more. Even the fastest drying species need time to dry before you can burn them successfully. Water is a lousy fuel and renders useless both matches and boy scout fluid.

I used to laugh at cottonwood. Forget that nonsense. Yes, it burns fast, but it has its place in your arsenal and will light the slow-burning woods perfectly.

True, but a good bed of coals will dry your wood nearly instantly. I've burned tons of green, leafed out brush while clearing fence lines. As long as there's some dead dry stuff to get the party started, it's all gonna be ashes by the time it's over.

True, but a good bed of coals will dry your wood nearly instantly. I've burned tons of green, leafed out brush while clearing fence lines. As long as there's some dead dry stuff to get the party started, it's all gonna be ashes by the time it's over.

:agree2: Ive burnt more green wood than dry wood,outside though. I wont burn green wood in my heater. Ive done lots of clearing. I usually dig a hole and feed it a little at a time until its burned up. Ive even had a fire in the rain, with green wood. Get it hot enough and itll burn.

ipe,aka brazilian walnut. i believe it has the same fire rating as concrete.

Buwahahahaha! I helped a friend build a 10'x15' deck out of Ipe several years ago. We nicknamed it "concrete wood" by the end...

Interesting to hear all the basswood hating. I have a ton of basswood to get rid of now... It's gonna burn, one way or the other...

-Dave

Interesting to hear all the basswood hating.

Hey, it's easy to carry. :D :D

We keep a bunch of basswood for the campfire ring, and it's excellent kindling when split fine. Every wood has a purpose (think Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life" during the Every Sperm is Sacred bit). :cheers:

Yeah it sure is light... Which of course is why it isn't worth much as firewood... In my case, it is land clearing for a house site, so it had to come down no matter what. Gotta do something with it...

-Dave

If I am not sure if it is basswood or not I will cut into it to check. If I see white chips come out and the bar just sinks in I will let it rot or push it out of the way with the tractor. It takes up way too much space for the btus and won't go 12 hrs in the owb which to me is the biggest advantage of the owb. It is like a sponge, if it is sitting on the ground or even in a pile I don't think it would ever dry. Can you tell I really don't like basswood?

Latest posts

Back