Wood Trailer for your tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a tractor and a set of forks that i use to gather my firewood. I usually buck it to 10' lengths then pick up as much as I can with the forks and bring it home (2000'-3000' home). I have aquired a scissor hoist that I can hook to my remotes on the tractor to dump. I have a manure spreader axle and I was thinking to start there with a typical 2 wheel trailer. I then got to thinking that I could benefit by getting an old hay wagon frame, narrow it to 7' and shorten it to maybe 12'-14' and make a bed to dump from the hoist I have. I still think I like the idea of bucking it and loading it on the trailer then dumping it off at the house. The reason for my thinking is I can get the logs during the weekend and then after work I can go out and cut some up until dark during the week. It seemed to work well this past year with just the tractor and forks, but I would like to make fewer trips. With a 4 wheel wagon I could unhook it at a staging area and bring the logs to it and load it, then fill my forks and have one heck of a load in one trip. Anyone have any better ideas or pictures. I will have all winter/spring/summer to get the trailer done whichever way I decide.

Last edited:
you dont have too far to go. depending on the terrain you could use a sled. I borrow the neighbors hay sled sometimes to haul logs with my ol' farmall 400.

I like to buck them up where they lay, pull right up with the loader and toss/roll the rounds on the bucket, and dump carefully onto the flat rack hay wagon. Then I back up into the wood shed and can unload by either standing on the ground or on the wagon. I thought about a dump trailer but I would still have to move the wood after I dumped it. I rebuilt the hay wagon with heavy ash sills so it will handle a lot of weight. Just my experience.

I like to buck them up where they lay, pull right up with the loader and toss/roll the rounds on the bucket, and dump carefully onto the flat rack hay wagon. Then I back up into the wood shed and can unload by either standing on the ground or on the wagon. I thought about a dump trailer but I would still have to move the wood after I dumped it. I rebuilt the hay wagon with heavy ash sills so it will handle a lot of weight. Just my experience.

Pretty close to what I'm thinking.

I have seen a few trailers (and a couple wagons) made from the back halves of an old farm/dump truck. Definitely heavy duty enough for your needs. If you could get one with the lift cylinder still on you could just run it off the remotes from your tractor, or you could always use the scissor lift you have. The only disadvantage is that you may want to lower it down a bit if your loader doesn't lift very high as they have a pretty tall deck height.

Another cool idea I saw was using an old pto driven manure spreader with the beaters removed. You just leave the feeder chains on, and kick on your pto and it's a self unloader. It would work well and be heavy duty enough also (if you've ever shoveled fresh s#$% you know how heavy it is.) It would work well with rounds, but I'm not sure how well unloading a bunch of 10' logs - maybe it'd take a little creative driving forward as they were coming off.

Just throwing a couple more ideas to think about. Good luck on your project!

Back