Woodburning, health interest

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I offended people by calling them tree huggers, It wasn't intended to offend. I used a common generalization for the enviro-hippies.

you may have missed my point: we're on the same side. your generalizations do not help your cause... you'd be leaving a lot of us "hippies" off your team.

I think that a study, surveying all of the woodburners who are members of the site, showing how much oil/gas/electric we are NOT using now, due to using wood, would be awesome!:chainsawguy:

OP deleted first post.... anyone have the link?

burning wood has been good for my health!

cutting, loading, splitting, stacking wood means I'm moving around tons of weight. human body was meant to thrive on stress... when that stress is not present... it deteriorates... breaks downs without coming back stronger.

it's well documented elderly folks that lift weights have much less bone loss.

now days, wood burners are much ... much more efficient. the only time you see smoke coming out of my chimney is during startup. after wood insert gets up to temps.. it burns hot and clean... you can barely any smoke from chimney.

properly adjusted there should NO smoke inside house. especially with door open to load wood. would want to trust door seals to keep carbon monoxide from inside house.

there's little to NO smoke smell inside my house. there's a CO monitor right above my wood insert just to be sure.

OP deleted first post.... anyone have the link?

Solvents first post on page 2 of this discussion. Not sure why he deleted it but it shows he edited the original post.

I hope I didn't offend any other members out there with my comments. It just seems that the majority of this kind of BS comes from SOCAL. I get out there for work more than I like to and I have seen some really weird stuff / individuals there!!! I like it here in Michigan..... Clean Air, Clean Water and Good people.:)

this is the main reason i left so cal in 05 tired of all the bs being a small biz owner i had enough of there left wing anti everything had to be so pc all the time school for the kids was a joke they had a homo principal that was always pushing his agenda down there throught when my little girl was in 1st grade she brought home a book why mary has 2 mommies anytime i stood up for my kids i was just an ignorant redneck stuck in the past . they have a study for everything all the money they spend on studies is insane. look at big bear recreation area them beatles ate up most of the pine trees around there standing dead trees enviro leaf lickers got it to were you cant cut em up till they fall . was up in big bear 4wd and campin when there was a wild fire first time in my life truly scared for my life those large pine trees were going up like christmas trees in july. i truly love areas of cali but most of it i could care less if it fell into the ocean look at most of so cal all the beutiful places are either so high priced you cant afford to even vist or the other ones are so unsafe due to illegals and other thugs why put your life in danger.sorry to vent but it just got me wound up.

Living in Pasadena, I don't know why you'd have to burn any wood.

:notrolls2:

I was wondering the same thing. If he lived up here by me when it is -40 f he might enjoy burning wood for extra heat a little more. There is no way burning nat. gas or propane would be environmentally cleaner. But in reality we are not rich and burning wood sure helps the pocket book.

Back during the energy crunch of the 70's,I sold wood stoves and Chainsaws. I sold Fishers and Riteways. To keep up with info and trends I went to a seminar at Notre Dame University. A professor who gave one of the talks, talked about wood burning and air pollution. He said that a log laying in the forest rotting gave of the same amount of toxins as a similar log burning in a stove. The stove just put them out quicker,where as the one in the woods took years. I realize that if you live in certain areas,and there are enough stoves,the smoke is going to be bad. Normally wood stoves are scattered out pretty good,and pollution is not an issue. Naturally forrest fires put out a lot more smoke in a given area,and this is natural. Burning wood is a natural thing,and happens in nature. Where as oil and gasoline are not normally found in nature. I think people are worrying to much about wood,in the long term it is a lot safer then other forms of fuel.

Burning wood in dense areas is news for some people. You're welcome to ignore it.

Some of us come to these forums for answers, and some kindness is appreciated.

And, like dude, California is like the 7th largest economy in the world, and like it if it fell into the ocean, you'd like be speaking Chinese. Chill dude.
as much as I would like to read this thing till the end you kind of lost me at the
(like dude)thing.

I'm all for burning wood!

.......but I do realize that there are places on the globe where population densities mean it is just not good for the local population. (LA on bad air days, for example)

No, No, No!!!....
I'm sure you didn't really mean to write that!
Let me re-arrange that sentence for you.

.......but I do realize that there are places where population densities mean it is just not good for the globe.

Seriously, think about it. Saying the real problem is too many humans in a small area of earth is politicial suicide for those making the big bucks( and don't make tax money from fire wood).

OP,

Kinda like going to a NASCAR forum and mentioning the health hazzards of going 200mph in a car with no emissions controls..... Folks are gonna think you're a Troll, or worse, a Dang Hippie!

Dingeryote

Hey! I'm a "Dang Hippie" and I've been burning wood for more than thirty years. I'm a tree hugger too and I got plenty of them to hug or saw as the case may be.

Hey! I'm a "Dang Hippie" and I've been burning wood for more than thirty years. I'm a tree hugger too and I got plenty of them to hug or saw as the case may be.

Chuck,

If you're burnin' wood, you ain't a Modern "Hippie".
Apologies if I rubbed your fur wrong.

I hug trees as well, just before cutting. The rest Just get fertilizer now and then, and a spray when needed.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back