Woods ported 4910/501p

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbelle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings, new member here from Maine. Been pretty intrigued by the echo 4910 and 501p having the modifications done to them. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to acquire one?

Are you willing to pay $350 and shipping each way? That was where the last similar thread went. Just as a casual observer the saws that have the cylinder laid back get better anti vibe numbers. Why not start there?
Yes. To give some background, this is going to be mainly a firewood saw. I cut a lot of standing dead oak, usually 6-12”, and haul it out in an old ‘89 Toyota pickup. I do also come across some larger blow downs, like the couple 14-16” red oak I cut last weekend. I’ve been running a husky 440e I bought a few years ago, and it has served me well. Just looking for a little more power, around the same weight, and something that isn’t going to break the bank. From what I’ve read, opinions on stock 4910/510 seem to range from best 50 cc saw to doggy and disappointing. But modified, they seem to be this thing rips across the board. I was contemplating stihl 261 and husky 550xp but I’d prefer to not go the computer route. I’m open to suggestions

I believe the Stihl 261 can be obtained in standard carb, might even be the more common one lately with supply chain issues. I would assume the guy or guys who have been recommended in prior similar threads will see your post. The preferred method seems to shave some off the base, take some out of the head because the piston would hit otherwise and then have the ability to put the ports where the builder chooses. Perhaps guys do a few new saws at the same time.

I believe the Stihl 261 can be obtained in standard carb, might even be the more common one lately with supply chain issues. I would assume the guy or guys who have been recommended in prior similar threads will see your post. The preferred method seems to shave some off the base, take some out of the head because the piston would hit otherwise and then have the ability to put the ports where the builder chooses. Perhaps guys do a few new saws at the same time.
Yes you can still get the 261 standard carb for same price as the mtronic, atleast that was the price at the closest stihl dealer I have. Looking at close to $700 after tax.
I pulled the trigger on a 4910 from a local dealer yesterday for $349. Couldn’t pass that deal up. I’m thinking after break in of muffler mod and retune. I’ve watched some videos on the muffler mod, the one where the tabs are flattened back down and a hole it cut. I’m not super confident in retuning the carbs or even getting the limiters out although I’m sure I could figure it out

Yes you can still get the 261 standard carb for same price as the mtronic, atleast that was the price at the closest stihl dealer I have. Looking at close to $700 after tax.
I pulled the trigger on a 4910 from a local dealer yesterday for $349. Couldn’t pass that deal up. I’m thinking after break in of muffler mod and retune. I’ve watched some videos on the muffler mod, the one where the tabs are flattened back down and a hole it cut. I’m not super confident in retuning the carbs or even getting the limiters out although I’m sure I could figure it out
Recently bought a 4910 myself. Got it on fleabay, somewhat cheaper than yours. I would have supported a local dealer but nobody had one. I haven't run it much yet but seems a very nice saw. I think it will meet your needs nicely.
Enjoy. And post back with thoughts before and after mods.

They are disappointing out of the box. Overly rich and carb limiters keep you from adjusting it properly. The muffler is severely restricted but easy to open up. Charles Brisco on YT built some killer 4910s. I'd send him one if I wasnt interested in building my own. They are descent once you open the muffler and tune it properly.

Back