Woods porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty soon we'll be doing EGR (along with the already CAT) deletes.. Having multi position programmers with RACE, WORK, STOCK/Valet modes.. Maybe even do away with mufflers all together in favor of small turbo charger systems (or variable vane turbos). At one time, turbo chargers were considered mufflers, and they certainly do muffle. I'm sure turbocharged saws exsist... But only if pictures were taken :hmm3grin2orange:

Pretty soon we'll be doing EGR (along with the already CAT) deletes.. Having multi position programmers with RACE, WORK, STOCK/Valet modes.. Maybe even do away with mufflers all together in favor of small turbo charger systems (or variable vane turbos). At one time, turbo chargers were considered mufflers, and they certainly do muffle. I'm sure turbocharged saws exsist... But only if pictures were taken :hmm3grin2orange:

To small. Way too much heat with no intercooler that would be small enough and/or practical.

I thought you just threw chains away after each use,man you guys are teaching me lots of new things. and wow o woow chain saws can be ported. what will they think of next auto tuning carbs.

I hear you can clean air filters and they don't need to be replaced every time they are dirty.

, but for the average guy wanting to port his saw, it is more productive to look at pics, ask questions on a forum, and buy a few cheap saws to destroy.

Are you making fun of me:msp_razz:.......actually it was cheaper to destroy string trimmers to start:msp_blushing: I have had fun and learned, but widening ports, muffler mods and removing base gaskets is all that I have had success with. Transfers and duration have been disasters, and I can't figure out how to cut a band on a drill press(the bird says no to a lathe). I will continue to enjoy tinkering, but in the next couple months, I am going to buy a good saw and send it to one of the real builders.

I have enough fun putting old relics together. A man's got to know his limitations.

I have a Masterminded NE346XP and was concerned about the stock carb on it. It has a limited coil also. Guess I should consider changing them both out. Not sure what carb to go with though.

On the 346 is ain't a bad thing to have the limited coil......if you are able to tune in the wood. If you have any doubt then swap coils. Don't put a Zama for a 359/357 on it though.

On the 346 is ain't a bad thing to have the limited coil......if you are able to tune in the wood. If you have any doubt then swap coils. Don't put a Zama for a 359/357 on it though.
I have no doubt about ANYTHING with this saw - it flat out screams. I have actually had people stop by when they heard me cutting and ask what the hell I was running. The look on their faces when I show them the 346 is priceless!!

I have no doubt about ANYTHING with this saw - it flat out screams. I have actually had people stop by when they heard me cutting and ask what the hell I was running. The look on their faces when I show them the 346 is priceless!!

A well built 346 is just a freaking excellent cutting tool...
11 pounds of nasty in an orange can...

Walbro's are the only way to go.

I wish I could get a little less suck out of those Zama's they're pretty inexpensive compared to the hda-191 and hda-199's are getting harder to find.

Walbro's are the only way to go.

I wish I could get a little less suck out of those Zama's they're pretty inexpensive compared to the hda-191 and hda-199's are getting harder to find.

They can be fixed. :msp_wink:

My NMurph 346OE isn't ported but it sure runs great. Almost has me thinking its too lean and next time I'm in Vermont I'll have to check it more closely. I know it cuts circles around my MS260.
Bob

My NMurph 346OE isn't ported but it sure runs great. Almost has me thinking its too lean and next time I'm in Vermont I'll have to check it more closely. I know it cuts circles around my MS260.
Bob

My OE's can usually be tuned 14.5-14.8K or so, but I usually run both NE's and OE's around 13.8-14k. They don't seem to pick up much when they are tuned much higher.

My OE's can usually be tuned 14.5-14.8K or so, but I usually run both NE's and OE's around 13.8-14k. They don't seem to pick up much when they are tuned much higher.

Agreed.

It takes that fuel to make power and keep the top end cool. It also brings oil into the engine, so I shy away from running a saw too lean.

LOL. The MS260 never did win any prizes for speed, I guess. Somehow it still gets the work done, but is a snoozer on the bigger cuts.

Latest posts

Back