Woodshed Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob95065

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm finally building a woodshed after being in the house for a year. We don't get a lot of cold but winters are really wet which makes it feel colder. Our lot has tall redwoods all around it which block the sun in the winter. Last year we burned a little more than three cords and it wasn't a cold year. I wanted a shed that would hold 2 year's worth of wood with a little margin. I went with a design that covered an area that is 8'x24'. If I stack 6' tall I calculate 9 cords under cover.

There will be a 2' overhang on all sides which yields a framed roof that is 12'x28'. My plan is to use 12' corrugated tin panels.

I wanted to keep the cost down ad much as I could because I am also remodeling the house. I grabbed a pile of "distressed" pressure treated lumber from the local lumberyard. I wanted 2x6s or 2x8s but all they has were 2x4s which altered my design. I am framing the roof to the posts then coming back with a second layer of 2x4s at the final dimension. I'll tie the two stacks with nail plates and 2x8 joist hangers. I'll also put a 2' high truss on the front and frame walls on the sides and back but not put sheeting up.

For walls my plan is to get canvas tarps that I'll tack at the top. I'll screw 2x2s to the bottom. During the winter they will hang down and I'll roll them up and tie them for summer. We get no rain here during the summer months at all so I'm not worried about the firewood getting wet. This will keep the wood dry in the winter and allow air movement in summer.

This is where I am so far:

100_1138_zpsb59e68c3.jpg

100_1138_zpsb59e68c3.jpg

I put 4x4 brackets in concrete piers that I poured a few weeks ago. This keeps the wood off the ground to prevent rot. I am impressed with how stable the pin connection is. I thought it would be wobbly but it isn't.

It looks flimsy now but when I put the second course of 2'4s up it will significantly increase vertical support. The shear wall in the front will help too. I'll post more pictures after I work on it this weekend.

Bob

Look here for tarps: Billboard Tarps. I got one for a duck pond liner, a lot cheaper than anything else I could find. I plan on using them when I rebuild my woodshed. Right now, mine only holds 4 cords, but we're pretty well insulated with a heat pump, only burned 3 cords last winter. I would still like capacity for 10 cords, planning on adding a small stove in the basement.

What are convertible tarps? Can you post a link?

I haven't bought tarps yet but I did start pricing them. They are costly so I want to be sure I buy tarps that will last a long time.

by "convertible", I meant attaching the tarps so you can roll them up and down. Here's a pic of my shed. My tarp material is recycled from the local Co-Op,,some really thin, tuff stuff, they use to cover corn stored on the ground.100_0717.JPG I have installed a metal roof since these pics were taken.100_0719.JPG

I use bunker plastic from the farm and nail it on in fall and throw it away in spring don't cost me a penny and they always have extra if I need it

I put the roof on the shed last weekend:

100_1144_zps534dbe69.jpg

We are bracing for a storm that is predicted to bring hurricane force winds and 8" to 9" of rain for the mountains where I live. California really needs the rain, but it would be better to not get it all at once.

I'll find out how well this shed is built.

Bob

Bob that shed is looking great!!! Same idea I've had for mine. Really appreciate you sharing this with us. Hope the storm doesn't wash you all away!!!

Latest posts

Back