Word travels fast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thechknhwk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Some guy I work with that I don't socialize with very often from another part of the plant found out that I bought a BSM. He wants 3 black walnut logs sawed up, but noted that the sapwood is still light. I thought that I recall reading that if he lets them sit for a while it will darken up to match the heartwood? Is this true and how long should they sit? I also told him that he would probably want to end seal the logs if he were going to let them sit.

Some guy I work with that I don't socialize with very often from another part of the plant found out that I bought a BSM. He wants 3 black walnut logs sawed up, but noted that the sapwood is still light. I thought that I recall reading that if he lets them sit for a while it will darken up to match the heartwood? Is this true and how long should they sit? I also told him that he would probably want to end seal the logs if he were going to let them sit.

My sawyer says it takes three years. He piles them up off the ground so they can stay pretty dry.

Personally I think it looks better with the sapwood.

I guess it depends on how patient you are.

attachment.php

not sure about the sapwood darkening, but sealing the ends is a must. chickenhawk, you didn't happen to buy that mill out of the wausau wi area did ya?

No, it was near my house

gotcha. just curious as there was a nice sounding lumbermate on wausau craigslist but by the time i called it was gone. i'm jealous of your rig!

Latest posts

Back