work along highways....anyone like it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamtree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Did 2 trees along a highway today...I hate these jobs....people could care less about the 6 signs you put up telling them you are working along the road and there are flaggers ahead. Thank god for brakes!!!

No doubt the most dangerous place to work is the street, people simply do not pay attention to the work signs or view the cones as some sort of obstacle course and try to manuver them as fast as possible. I tell all new bies to watch the cars, they will not stop. We try to close the roads whenever we can and even that does not help sometimes.

Do you wear hi-viz clothing when working by the road? I saw something a couple of weeks ago regarding changing requirements for hi-viz clothing worn on jobsites that involve on federally funded roadways (most roads). They need to be the official bright colors plus have the 3 stripes of reflective tape.

Phone co lineman, work on the roads and highways all the time, have had our flaggers van run over!!
There is absoulutely no respect from anybody, they just don't care!!!
There are so many bad drivers out there, its sometimes tempting to have a few rocks in you pockets!!!
Mini van soccer moms being the worst!!! And old people a close second!!
And I hate to say it but semi's are also bad!!!
Rant off!!:dizzy:

I have worked utility on the road and it sucks. Some peoples time is more important than our lives, judging by the way they drive. I like to drive the boom truck down the road on the wrong side, it really protects the guys chipping. When you see the flag person ahead sign, slow right down, pay attention, smile and wave.

I operate Tractors on side of road and when I need to drive down the road either in a Backhoe or Tractor people will hit you they dont pay attention at all. I was working in a local city here and a car rammed the back of my Bushhog. I really wanted to kick there :censored: . :buttkick:

We have a job next week with six trees overhanging the street. I called the city and they said they don't require us to do anything (no cops, nothing)! I need to do something because I don't want anyone to get hit by a car. All we have at the moment are cones. Anyone got any suggestions?

truckpics006.jpg

While The Dan is no great artist he was bullfighter in another life where he was known as The Don. Stories are abundant but all have the same point, be very very careful and never stop doing that.
Oh and that cone was just left there, its not mine.

Last edited:
Does anyone require their guys to wear reflective vests whether working on the road or otherwise? Right now its just my buddy and I trimming part time..but..seems like it would be as good an idea as wearing hard hats? I would think it would make it alot easier to see your groundie as well when you're up in the tree..not to mention making it easier for the other morons on the prowl..and behind the wheel? Think when I expand I'm gonna require my guys to wear reflective vests, hard hats, steel toe BOOTS, ear plugs and saftey eyewear(clear or tinted lenses)..oh..and NO CELL PHONES..I about saw a guy get drug into a chipper once because he was feeding in branches..his phone rang..got distracted trying to answer it..a branch knocked him forward..and he about ended up a statistic..

We have a job next week with six trees overhanging the street. I called the city and they said they don't require us to do anything (no cops, nothing)! I need to do something because I don't want anyone to get hit by a car. All we have at the moment are cones. Anyone got any suggestions?

City may not require anything but state regs probably do. Lane closed, people working signage all usually required by state DOT. Check with the state DOT office. Some reqiure flagman and those people have to be flag certified. Check it out before starting work, last thing you need is the DOT man shutting you down and the OSHA man will be waiting with his clipboard.

I had a lady just pulling out of a drive way drive over my cones. Then after one was logged in her wheel well she backed up and ran over even more. The drive way was 3 lanes wide at least and my cones blocked one lane. I had a county transit bus take a couple more of my cones 1/4 mile down the road. I could go on and on luckly no one I work with or me have been injured by in a hurry or dumb drivers yet.

Had an employee hit by a car who did not slow down. He was unloading a 4' reflective sign, from a truck with flashing lights, wearing Hi-Vis gear and was hit by a car that passed six signs warnoing them that men were working in the area. Had another employee run over while flagging by an old man who didn't slow down at all. Neither was killed but both hav needed surgeries and long hospitalizations. You can't be too careful.

City may not require anything but state regs probably do. Lane closed, people working signage all usually required by state DOT. Check with the state DOT office. Some reqiure flagman and those people have to be flag certified. Check it out before starting work, last thing you need is the DOT man shutting you down and the OSHA man will be waiting with his clipboard.

I just contacted them by email. I guess I will hear from them on Monday. I am hoping I can get away with a pile of cones and a couple signs. It's a very small street on a lake. Not much traffic and when there is it is the residents - not through traffic.

OSHA - we have everything up to snuff. I still don't have chaps yet, but we have everything else. Maybe I will pick up the chaps before this job.

Flag Certified? WTF. There is no way we are getting flag certified in time for this job. Where do flagmen go to look for flag jobs? What's the going rate for a flagman? Do they have there own set of flags, or do I have to buy them?

I am sorry, memmey, got a real question? Have you tried to call a flagger force contracter for the day? Find some kids to hold the flags for a couple bucks an hour? I think the name of the one company is actually called Flagger Force, I think they are nationwide.
How many guys are you going to have on this job... sounds like you may need two flaggers.

It's a two way street, so I guess I would probably need a flagger on each side - one at one end of the property and another at the other end. I'll look into Flagger Force, thanks.

We will have one climber and two groundsmen. It would suck if we had to have two flaggers on top of that. If it was a busy street I wouldn't hesitate. When I was there for the estimate I think maybe 2-3 cars drove by in about an hour. I know it only takes one car to get killed, but seriously...

Maybe we will just park our trucks and trailers in the street on each side of the property and put down a bunch of cones. I would feel very safe with that set-up.

People in cars are the worst, :mad: try riding a bicycle around sometime.

I've been hit by 2 cars. I have been lucky, the only thing I ever broke was a windshield and no body parts.
Oh and one truck, but that was kinda my fault.... NEVER assume the driver sees you, and NEVER, NEVER assume that just cause they see you that makes you safe. One of the cars that hit me was looking me right in the eye.

F'n Flagger Force how hilarious, I never would have guessed... They watched a video, a powerpoint presentation, a lecture, and a demonstration. All in four hours.

"About Flagger Force

When you call Flagger Force, you always work with a team of true professionals. We never bring in temps – every flagger has been through our extensive training program."

They don't service CT though. I guess I'll grab a couple kiddies off the street and hand them some flags. Maybe an Iraq and a North Korea flag.

pretty sure MA doesn't yet allow civilian flaggers, you need police officers if you are in the street (or blocking a sidewalk in Everett) a westford cop explained it as being on a primary or major secondary road (the towns own classification) you'll always need the detail, on other roads they don't care. We've been hit with details a few times, and gotten away plenty of times without one. An Everett cop told us we have no authority to stop traffic or redirect pedestrians, no matter what the circumstance. When we work on shoulders, we'll use the f350 and boss' 250 to give us some room to work with.

Back