Work Boots Steel toed/shank?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DirtTroll

DirtTroll

ArboristSite Operative
Old Monkey said:
Those of you who climb in light weight hiking boots. Do you climb with chainsaws hangind from your saddle? Doesn't it hurt when it hits your leg? I like the 16" of leather protecting me.

It should only bounce on your butt if you have it clipped to your saddle.

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
i just use a standard saw strap and biner on a short quickdraw from my saddle. i've climbed with saw's from a 16in bar to 42in and never had a problem with the saw hitting my leg.

John Paul Sanborn

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Old Monkey said:
Those of you who climb in light weight hiking boots. Do you climb with chainsaws hangind from your saddle? Doesn't it hurt when it hits your leg? I like the 16" of leather protecting me.

The saw should hang below your leg if you leave it running, if you own the buisness, and have employee's it's an ANSI requirment.

My lanyard is one of the cheap straps with 2 rings, when it's not running it's tight to the saddle and i can foot lock w/o it getting in the way.

I have more of a problem with the right leg of my pants wearing out from all the little pick holes from sharp saws. I joke that I should start climbing with dull ones to make my pants last longer

topnotchtree
T

topnotchtree

I wear a Hoffman( http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ )boots and like them alot. A few guys I work with wear boots from Halls. This time of the year, Mud, Dog sh!t that sat all winter, I always slip on overshoes. (http://www.hallssafety.com/catalog_boots/boots.htm.) #51510. These are a bit heavy, but they do a great job protecting your boots. The lineman I work with wear these for electrical protection, and they are very heavy duty.

Lumberjack

Lumberjack

Banned
I use the 2 in 1 bungee lanyard from Sherrill. Its a handy little thing. It rarely doesnt have enough reach, only when i am reaching far left, around the tree and some weird twist (saw on right side). I cant imagine having it below my feet, it would get beat to death banging on limbs and such! Not to mention the hassle of it tangling up and such.

Lumberjack

Lumberjack

Banned
Oh and I climb in dunham hiking boots. They work nicely, but I wish they had a steel toe, they would be nearly perfect then.

attachment.php

They need some TLC with some mink oil.

2Coilinveins

2Coilinveins

Former Member
Steel toed boots cutting off toes is a moot point. Any weight heavy enough to bend over the toe on steel toed boots will do equally catastrophic damage to unprotected toes.

P_woozel

P_woozel

ArboristSite Guru
Wescos are good if you have flat feet like say if you have feet like an ape, for those of us who are further evolved and have an arch, Whites are the way to go. :)

Old Monkey

Old Monkey

Addicted to ArboristSite
P_woozel said:
Wescos are good if you have flat feet like say if you have feet like an ape, for those of us who are further evolved and have an arch, Whites are the way to go. :)

I admit I have one fallen arch, a horrible rollerblading accident...I don't want to talk about it. I had Whites and liked them for firefighting but they only lasted me one season of fire and one winter of tree work. It rained everyday that winter and White's don't do well in wet weather IMO. Yes, I treated the leather regularly.

Jumper

Jumper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Oil Patch, Edmonton, Alberta for now.....
daddieslilgirl said:
and the heads theyll be hitting!!! lol just wanna say thanks ekka lol but i am serious are steel toed boots conductors for electric? im doing all of these tests and ive never saw anything about boots!

Most CSA/UL approved steel toe/plate boots sold here are shock resistant. In fact personnel working around power lines are required to wear them. The toe and plate is not in contact with the ground, bwing insulated by a sole of some non conducting material (at least in theory)therefore should not be a conduit of electricity. For some reason many Vibram soled boots are not rated as shock resistant. Not sure if this is due to the sole or just because the manufacturer did not bother with the cerification.

NickfromWI

NickfromWI

Addicted to ArboristSite
2Coilinveins said:
Steel toed boots cutting off toes is a moot point. Any weight heavy enough to bend over the toe on steel toed boots will do equally catastrophic damage to unprotected toes.

I agree that it's a moot point, but let me pull a Lumberjack and argue it anyways :p

Isn't the idea that yes, the toes would be crushed, but now at the hospital they have to deal with getting the steel cup OFF your toes before they can begin work?

If you WEREN'T wearing them, they can just get straight to work...

love
nick

Jumper

Jumper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Oil Patch, Edmonton, Alberta for now.....
NickfromWI said:
I agree that it's a moot point, but let me pull a Lumberjack and argue it anyways :p

Isn't the idea that yes, the toes would be crushed, but now at the hospital they have to deal with getting the steel cup OFF your toes before they can begin work?

If you WEREN'T wearing them, they can just get straight to work...

love
nick

That type of catastrophic injury is very rare. The bulk of toe injuries involve dropping something a good deal less heavy on tender tootsies, say up to 100 lbs.

Nick, if you find steel toes are cold in the winter, try a pair of winter boots with composite toes-they are becoming more and more common up here, maybe a small premium over what steel ones cost.

Last edited:
ozy365

ozy365

ArboristSite Operative
From a rehab point of view, severed toes have a better prognosis than crush injury... if your local EMT doesn't leave them in the boot, that is. Crush tends to have a high rate of surgical amputation (IMO) and tend to have poor revascularization. Talk about cold toes. I hate steel toes I've used so far as I feel claustrophobic in them. My mind is willing, but my body is weak. :cry:

tinman44

tinman44

ArboristSite Operative
not too sure about that if its a fact or opinion. i had all my toes crushed in motorcycle accident. i also had rods in my toes for 6 weeks and now the dont bend, with no toes its hard to learn to walk again right?