work gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nighttrain

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
what works gloves does every one use ? I've been using mec. gloves from auto zone and I've used all leather gloves but i still take the finger tips out after loading up a couple loads of wood ,

if Iam loading wood I use my carharts one pair is a year old the other is 4 years old even the 4 year old pair is still being used

I buy the cheap leather work gloves from Menards. When they get a hole in 'em, I toss them and put on a new pair. Some pairs last longer than others, but they are cheap and I like the feel of new gloves, if only for a moment.

Past few yr, I've been using the Kinco brand sold by Gemplers. Pigskin. I found that I wore out cow-leathers way too fast. The pigskins last much longer. I have a pr. of the insulated ones for those really cold days chopping firewood.

The pigskin version costs a buck or two a pair more than calfskin. However, besides lasting me longer, if they get wet, after they dry and you wear them again, they soften up good as new. The cow stuff never seems to lose its stiffness completely after a good soaking.

I get maybe triple the wear from the pig stuff.

what works gloves does every one use ? I've been using mec. gloves from auto zone and I've used all leather gloves but i still take the finger tips out after loading up a couple loads of wood ,

Try a good pair of Goatskin gloves. I usually can get a season out of 'em.
Just soak 'em in bar/hydro oil now and then as ya go, to keep 'em supple.

I recently got a pair of the Dolmar gloves while placing an order with an AS sponsor. Sorta like mechanics gloves except they use some sorta heavy synthetic material on the palms and finger pads that holds up well so far.
The stuff is like the material on the palms of the anti cut gloves called "Turtle skins" which are too dadgum expensive to be tearing up with wood.

Not much for thorn protection, and they aren't gonna be worth a tinkers damn in a few weeks for the cold, but I think I have found a decent warm weather cutting/splitting/stacking glove.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

These are CHEAP & GREAT for grabbing everything (rock, branches, firewood, ROPE, biners, chainsaw chain) even wet - great dexterity - only have to take 'em off to untie throwline.
clo614-2-150.gif
clo614-150.gif

http://www.wesspur.com/Safety/climb...id=GFkNlg01AS52g2D0&cktime=79119&cart=1488716
$30/doz.
And they come in winter and cut resistant versions, too.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Stihl ProScapers

They hold up really well and the dexterity isn't bad. Like anything Stihl, not cheap but the local dealer cuts me a better price if I buy 3 pairs at a time.

Take Care

These are CHEAP & GREAT for grabbing everything (rock, branches, firewood, ROPE, biners, chainsaw chain) even wet - great dexterity - only have to take 'em off to untie throwline.
clo614-2-150.gif
clo614-150.gif

http://www.wesspur.com/Safety/climb...id=GFkNlg01AS52g2D0&cktime=79119&cart=1488716
$30/doz.

I use these in the Atlas brand for general yard work. I keep a pair of the insulated ones in each car for installing chains during bad storms.

For climbing I use deerskin gloves with a spandex back; tight fitting and good protection.

For working on saws and other mechanical work I use nitrile.

Mr. HE:cool:

clo614-2-150.gif
clo614-150.gif

$30/doz.

I"ve got some of the blue atlas brand gloves, too, and after stacking four or so cords of wood, using them to load and unload sheet goods in my shop, and lots of other tasks, they haven't shown any wear at all. I used to blow through leather gloves very quickly; the durability for the price of these ($5 or $6) is great. And, they allow for dexterity. And, if you sweat through them, they are still pliable the next time you put them on. My leather gloves would get stiff.

You can get other brands of these at a fair price at the big box stores.

I use Husqvarna safety gloves for cutting and stacking. They're plenty warm enough in the winter with knit gloves inside and if you really want to stay warm and dry, wear surgical gloves under that. Your hand will be sweating within an hour. Works great and cheap! They've got a season on them so far. No problems or complaints. When working in the shop or at work I swear by the Boss/Atlas Assembly Grip nitrile coated. I can usually get 3 to 4 weeks out of a pair at work and they give excellent dexterity.

One more vote for the Atlas style, at least in reasonable weather. Rubber grip is excellent on wood, not so much on the greasy steel we use them on at work. They wear pretty well for the price. I'd recommend going to Menards, etc. and trying on a couple sizes before ordering a bunch of them though, different brands we get in at work I wear anything between a M and an XL, doesn't seem to be any uniform sizing among those mfgrs.

Wintertime, it's insulated leather, usually ones with minimal insulation where if you stand around doing nothing, your hands freeze like they're bare, but good enough while working.

Back