Work shirts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oly's Stump

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I wanted to get some new work shirts and presently I have t-shirts but want to go to a button up shirt. Both long and short sleeve. I also would want to get my name and company name on them with patches or whatever. Anyone have suggestions for a comfortable shirt,ect.

I hate cotton shirts for work .. They get sweated up and your wet all day .... Instead I wear Cabela,s Worstolon shirts .. One worstolon shirt will out last 3 or 4 hickory shirts , unless they are BenDavis 50-50 hickory shirts , which are the ones I like if I wear a hickory shirt ..............There are lots of internet companies that will make patches and probably local business around you who will do custom embroidery if you want your company logo put on them ...... I know in Southeast there are several places that do embroidery , so I imagine where you are there are also ....

Oh Boy, more fashion stuff!

Gentle Reader: In this part of the woods, hickory shirts, preferably with a zipper, are the preferred fashion. In the hot weather, they often have the sleeves completely ripped off--We hope it wasn't diarhea that caused this!
Or, we find that a wife beater or standard t-shirt layered underneath can be switched to on a hot day.

There is a decision to made on short sleeves. Do you want hemmed or the ripped off style? The latter again makes one wonder WHY they were torn off and WHAT was the excess sleeve used for? Sometimes one finds out by traipsing down through the unit. But we won't GO there.:)

Most little communities and certainly large ones have someone who does embroider on patches. But, I just attended a baby shower where we decorated onesies using fabric pens. That is always an option.

I customized my hickory shirt by sewing lace along the yoke and on the collar.
You are welcome to copy this if you wish.

Happy Fashions!:)

i cannot stand wearing collared shirts to work!they drive me nuts!my preference is good old fruit of the loom white pocketless t's,and in winter jst the same except for maybe an undershirt of either polypropylene or just regular long sleeve long john underneath,i operate on a tight budget!also i typically have a large blotch insignia just over my right shoulder blade from either excess bar oil from a messy fill up,or full tank logo all the way down the back of my t,from neglecting to properly secure those new p.o.s.flip caps on stihls these days:bang:

CINTAS is the way to go. You lease the shirts and pants with custom logo, they launder and press them AND replace the damaged, stained, torn clothing at no extra cost to you. Somewhere around $50 per month is what I paid. Tax write-off with your logo. Check with your accountant.

Do you want hemmed or the ripped off style?

Shirts with the sleeves ripped off are quite fashionable in my area! Of course you would want matching accessories*.

Then I'm not good at sewing, so I take my stuff to a local sewing lady. I bought chaps where you thread a belt through the loops, but the loops would slip and bunch up - not go around like it should.

So I took my dirty oil soaked chaps to the sewing lady so she could sew on velcro (and I wouldn't need a belt)...

She saw me walk in to her spotlessly clean sewing shop with those dirty chaps and gave me a VERY severe look. (The look women give you when you have been working on your truck, then wash your hands using those little round balls of soap in the bathroom) I felt like I was back in school and did something naughty!

Anyway she spread newspaper on her table for me to place my chaps on, then said she could do what I wanted. I picked them up a week later and they work great! For the next pair of chaps I had done, I took them in new and clean. The lady looked pleased with me.

Anyway my advice would be to WASH your shirt before you take it to the sewing lady to have the lace sewed on around the collar!

*Matching accessories for sleeveless shirts...

10-muddy_boots.jpg

If you can run a saw, you should be able to run a sewing machine. The manly machine is the old treadle, but it requires you to run the treadle with your feet, and guide the fabric with your hands, and that takes a bit of coordination.

You can get an electric one. Then once you figure out how to thread it, and you'll probably need reading glasses for that, you only have to worry about whether it is in forward or reverse--the basic machine that is. Lace is pretty easy to sew on. I bought some harder stuff, it also had little pearls to deal with and those hung up on the presser foot. So, the pockets didn't get lacy pearly decor.

Had I been able to find a different foot for the machine, the pearls would not have hung up. But such is life.

Hickory shirts, short sleeved, long sleeved, cut off sleeves, ripped off sleeves, normal cotton t shirt underneath. Thats about the norm for what I wear in the fall - spring.

If you can run a saw, you should be able to run a sewing machine. The manly machine is the old treadle, but it requires you to run the treadle with your feet, and guide the fabric with your hands, and that takes a bit of coordination.

You can get an electric one. Then once you figure out how to thread it, and you'll probably need reading glasses for that, you only have to worry about whether it is in forward or reverse--the basic machine that is. Lace is pretty easy to sew on. I bought some harder stuff, it also had little pearls to deal with and those hung up on the presser foot. So, the pockets didn't get lacy pearly decor.

Had I been able to find a different foot for the machine, the pearls would not have hung up. But such is life.
you must have a theme going with the lace,pearls,pink,etc...i have seen your saw with the fairys and whatnot, this all must add to your ensemble?should we expect to see you on the runway anytime soon?derek zoolander who?haha,couldnt help myself,you got some good posts!:clap:

Lately it has seemed like a good idea not to get run over by a big yellow machine. I have taken to wearing orange or lime green. Most of these t-shirts are a synthetic material that is a magnet for stickers. (Madsen's orange tees are cotton.) Still, I have not been run over yet.

Otherwise it a hickory shirt over some sort of undershirt.

Last edited:
Ben Davis is defiantly the most commonly worn around here. Also hooded sweatshirts with the sleeves cut off at a little below the elbow.

No Hoods in the brush !!

No hoods in the brush .. Hoods are for fishin boats .... They have different things to worry about . We need parefriel vision I've made green chocker dogs cut the hood off brand new H H rain gear .............No Hoods ! About a hundred times worse than leavin the cuff in your riggin pants ..or wearin a belt ..

No hoods in the brush .. Hoods are for fishin boats .... They have different things to worry about . We need parefriel vision I've made green chocker dogs cut the hood off brand new H H rain gear .............No Hoods ! About a hundred times worse than leavin the cuff in your riggin pants ..or wearin a belt ..

Hoods are acceptable when working underneath equipment. The sweatshirt ones provide a little bit of padding for your head, and all keep hair a little bit cleaner.

Every kid in high school wears a hooded shirt. 100o outside and the gang banger wannabees have their hood up. In class they try to wear their hood up. Some teachers let them wear their hood up because it is a racial/pride thing. ( The hood is worn up to disguise them from the police. If dad does it then it is OK if the kids do it.) I like the feel of a hoody but I seldom wear the hood up. It is indeed good for keeping the hair clean when working up the dirty side of equipment.

If I had someone on the crew wearin a hood , he would either take it off , cut it off or wear it off thejob immediately .!!!...... I don,t even wear a hood @ 35 below zero F when I,m in the brush .. If you are mechanicin . your not loggin do what you want , not my business .... I ain't packin someone out because they thot it was cool ... Enough stuff can get you with out intentionally wearin blinders !!!!

. I,m not mean either , just no room for that foolishness .. I,ve worked with lots of guys who had 2 foot long hair , A number of them were alot better hands than I am , but they always kept their hair in a pony tail and it was a total non issue ............. Be like some guy showin up to set pukes with his pants fallin off because he thot it was cool to look like he wants to be sodomized ...............yuk ..... Down the road MF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
...like some guy showin up to set pukes with his pants fallin off because he thot it was cool...

I've read a few posts on construction type forums where some new hire will show up with his pants half falling off. And the work requires climbing ladders all day, etc.

They get sent home with a quickness. If it wasn't for all the OSHA rules, insurance, lawyers, etc., might be interesting to let them try to work and learn a lesson or two...

Back