Work Shirts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
At the risk of being called a poser, I ask the following question.

Do you loggers actually wear the hickory, Chambray, or the stereotypical checked flannel shirts that I see advertised in Bailey's and Madsen's?

The reason I ask is that I am a dedicated 'T' shirt guy, but when I'm cutting and really get sweated down they hang on me and cling, and everything stretches out. I'm looking into buying a couple work shirts with a little more meat to them. I figure they'll be a little hotter, but might wick the sweat off me better and retain their shape when wet.

what say you?
Ian

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I am not a logger but work with them. And, I watch fashion trends in the woods.

Hickory shirts are very popular on the West side of the Cascades here in WA.
In fact, they seem to be the standard uniform. As we are into the summer season of fashion, there are variations. The stores sell short sleeve hickory shirts. Some guys prefer the more rugged look, and simply cut their long sleeved shirts off and leave the sleeve edges unhemmed. The more extreme tear the whole sleeve off and go sleeveless. This may be because the sleeves are worn out. One logger forbids his sons to wear the hemmed short sleeve, he insists they go unhemmed. Then, I've also seen a "midi" hickory shirt. Apparently, the guy got his shirt torn and then just went ahead and tore the rest off, exposing the midsection of his torso. Not a pretty sight. T-shirts are just as common in the summer, but we don't have your humidity to deal with. Gotta add this: Hickory shirts should be made in pastels!! Sorry, I just watched The Devil Wears Prada and can't help myself. :hmm3grin2orange:
Laundry Hint: I got conned into helping move a yarder up a paved road the other day and was wearing the Carhart Dungarees. The brown pants turned black from the mix of asphalt, tires and grease. I thought they were doomed to be black. Washed them last night in a mix of Spray and Wash, Oxi-Clean,
and All. They came out brown again.

A lot of the guys I work with wear hickory shirts. Long sleeve or short sleeve is always a big debate but long sleeves will protect you better and if they're 100% cotton they're not much hotter than short sleeves. Get the kind with the flap pockets unless you like pockets full of bark and flack from your wife on wash day. I've had good luck with shirts from Bailey's. They seem to wear well and don't cost an arm and a leg.
One other thing...if you wear them every day for a couple of weeks they'll accumulate so much dirt, saw oil, and pitch that if it rains you probably won't get too wet. :)
Pay no attention to Slowp and his fixation with pastels. He's a pretty good guy and seems to know his way around the woods but we've gotta sit him down and talk to him about this chartruse obsession he has. It worries me.:)

I'm waiting for someone to come out with a durable "CoolMax" or equivalent workshirt. All the performance polyester stuff I wear for running pills and scrubs way to easily for work. Hopefully someone will figure this out and even offer it in long sleeve to protect us southerners from the sun while staying cool.

during the summer im running throught woods wearing a wifebeater, as it get cooler a t shirt, and when it get cold a flannel, dead of winter <freezing= jeans, long underwear top and bottom, t shirt and sweatshirt, longer hair, and a full scraggly beard

This is the kind of entertaining threads that keep me floating around, good lord, this is hillarious. It looks like you're in full logging garb to me Haywood- at least by the looks of your avatar.:ices_rofl:

I like to wear the quilt lined flannel shirts as light jackets in cool weather, nothing to do with posing as a logger tho. I've been wearing those for 20 years, well before my current fascination with chainsaws and firewood. :)

Incidentally, I bought a long sleeved denim button up shirt (no pocket flaps) here locally to try and I like it. It protects my arms beautifully, has a whole sleeve to mop sweat from my face, it's not any hotter than a short sleeve for some reason and an unintended benefit is that it frustrates the mosquitos.

I had to buy a medium to get one that wasn't overly baggy but the medium fits a little too well, I fear that a few trips through the dryer will have me wishing for a large.

Ian

I'm delaying going out to a nasty job...cleaning out a shop. Here's an example of the PNW Summer Fashion Style for loader (shovel) operators.
Note the torn short sleeve style and zipper. He prefers a plastic hard hat.
The hat style (brim all the way around) is the way to go.

And these two are modelling the winter style for out in the brush. On the left, we have the classsic olive green rain look, and on the right, he is dressed for those few dry days we have. Hats are of the aluminum variety and stylishly colored. Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize!

And, one shouldn't wear White's before Memorial Day or after Labor Day! That would be a major faux pas!

that loader operator needs to get out and cut some trees, cuz he is getting a lil front side heavy. ha ha.. bet he is h*ll of an operator none the less

I wear denim Wrangler brand long sleeve denim shirts, they're almost bullet proof, spark/fire resistent, twig/stick protective! They'er awsome for welding, working in the brush, and generally working where average cloths fail. Stacked over some canvas pants, I don't know what you can't tackle on land. I look like a hillbilly, but what the hell? I'm no logger, but I've noticed quite a disspararity amongst the styles of local agriculturists. Funny thing... Utilitarian style...:monkey:

get the Coolmax type of stuff. you can find them cheap at walmart. They are the best for working in the heat. Not much protection for running the saw, but great for splitting/stacking, etc.

slowp,

how high do you think tin pants will be cut this season? I ask because i just got a new set of wool socks base black over teal, fox and geese, and i'm dying to show them off.

And could someone out there explain to me what the heck is shovel logging? I heard the reference back a few years ago and never did find out exactly what it was.

A "shovel" is an excavater type machine with a log grapple, heel, and often an extra boom.

Sometimes they'll have a set of drums and blocks for yarding. If they're set up like that they're called a "yoder". Among other things. :laugh: They're also good for leaking hydraulic oil all over your trailer when they're taking it off the truck and leaking oil all over the driver if he walks under the grapples. Evil minded shovel operators have been known to hold the grapples above an unsuspecting driver's head and just let the oil rain down on his hardhat. When oil starts to drip off the brim he usually figures out what's going on. Usually.

Last edited:
And shovels can make for humorous viewing when a hose breaks and causes lots of running about on the landing. Hmmm. Gotta be careful when figuring the length of tin pants. Cut them a hair longer than planned because they tend to accordian up a bit. I predict the midi length will again be popular. You might want to buy the little hiker boot style of caulks so you can better show off your new socks. I found some cute lavender colored earplugs at K-Mart.
I'm thinking I saw some teal colored ones somewhere. Unfortunately, I am forced to wear an orange hardhat so the ensemble is incomplete.

Around here many loggers wear Hickory type shirts, but the sleeves are cut off and short and have ragged ends typically.

Sometimes they will wear a plain white T-shirt, but there is a requirement that these shirts must have at least 3 holes torn in them the size of a baseball here and there. Sometimes the whole side ripped and torn. :)

For pants, many loggers around here wear "Prison Blues" which have the fasteners for suspenders. With these they cut off the stiched part at the end of each pants leg so they are ragged with threads hanging out. They do this so their pants legs will not catch on branches as they are walking around.

Latest posts

Back