Working on the trailer...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, got further than I anticipated...got it washed down, pushed into the garage, and even got primer on the top surfaces...ran out of primer, didn't plan to get this far...

Placed an order to Amazon, $300 later and I should have everything but the tires and the flexible conduit. This has been an expensive trip...$500 for the pair of axles, now $300 for wiring, ubolts, and spring bushings/wet bolts, and paint.

All the wiring was shot because of the mice...I'm surprised I didn't have major issues as all seven conductors were bare in a steel tube. I ordered a molded 7-way RV harness, the heavy two conduit brake wire, and a smaller trailer harness for the wiring to the lights. And that doesn't include the lights and light guards I bought previously.

The spring bushings are worn, so needed to replace them...could have went cheaper, but I don't want to do this again for a long while. Bought a mor-ryde kit with bronze bushings, drilled bolts with zerks, and heavy shackles. Bought new ubolts cause mine are rusted beyond reuse.

I have a line on tires...a local place buys and sells used tires, hopefully they will buy my good 265x17s and sell me a set of good 245x16s for a good price.

Damn expensive...

Well, after quiting one job and taking another and spending the last two weeks out of town; I finally got the thing in full primer. Hoping I can get a coat of paint on it tomorrow before it gets too cold to paint.

I've got all the pieces here or ordered, only have a few small parts (bolts and some electrical tubing).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I am constantly in awe at the kinda deals people find on craigslist 500$ for a pair of axles with brakes?! You couldn't touch that for 1k plus around my area...

good helpers,,,are hard to get...and keep..but being daughter......:D:D
If you didn't notice, she's standing on a box cause she's too short! And I had to use a potato chip back clip to hold her shirt up... [emoji1] it was quite entertaining.

She's not a bad helper for five...she even helps split firewood, she runs the splitter for me.

Thanks, I've been watching CL...there's a trading shop up near Pottsville, he'll take my 265s in on trade for a set of smaller LTs. So I'll probably go that route.

My biggest hurdle with these axles is actually the lug nuts. They are big 5/8" studs, and trailer wheels have a 90* taper where my truck wheels have a 60* taper...you can't mix the two.

A cord of fresh cut pine around here is pretty heavy. Bear to split green, too. Get the bark off and let it check a little, turns into easy wood. Love that smell, though.
Thanks, I've been watching CL...there's a trading shop up near Pottsville, he'll take my 265s in on trade for a set of smaller LTs. So I'll probably go that route.

My biggest hurdle with these axles is actually the lug nuts. They are big 5/8" studs, and trailer wheels have a 90* taper where my truck wheels have a 60* taper...you can't mix the two.

With all that money you spent on the trailer.... You could.have run your furnace on 72degrees all.winter.long... LoL

Paint is finished...hopefully its wrm enough tomorrow to cure.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415663662600.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415663662600.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 103
I am constantly in awe at the kinda deals people find on craigslist 500$ for a pair of axles with brakes?! You couldn't touch that for 1k plus around my area...
I looked at several options when I was looking for axles, these just fit the moment...

I was looking for an old tandem camper trailer frame someone was selling sans title...see them all the time for under $300, when you don't need one. That would net typically 3500# axles, wheels, and tires, plus future building fodder out of the frame.

I was also looking to buy new axles, wheels, and tires; that would have cost about $1200 for a pair of 5k six lugs, custom built (ie. bolt in).

I also considered buying all the 3500# components and building my own axles...that would have likely been the cheapest.

Lastly I was looking for takeouts...the bad thing about take outs is there is a reason they were removed.

The best part was a guy that inspects my hoopties had a set of 3500# torsion axles, complete with brakes and wheel/tires that he said I could have after all this...beat head against wall here.

Got the axles cut down today. Cut a section out, welded them together, and sleeved the seam with some 3" ID tubing.

Ordered new spring perches, have to flip the axles and that's the only way to do it right.

I also found my old Dodge wheels fit perfectly...6.5x16s from a 99 2500. The narrower width works better for clearing the frame, plus the 17s were just too wide and pretty to use on a trailer. I will stop by a junk yard and see about getting a single 16" tire for a spare steel rim I have floating around.

Use the net. You can get a complete trailer build kit for $1,500. I just bought brand new dexter axles, 7,200 lb easy lube bearings, with brakes For $7 or 8oo.

Use the net. You can get a complete trailer build kit for $1,500. I just bought brand new dexter axles, 7,200 lb easy lube bearings, with brakes For $7 or 8oo.
Yeah, the axles are reasonable but freight sucks. I looked at this option, it would cost 1/3 the price of the axles in shipping.

Well, I was able to procure four used Dunlop 245x75r16 LR E for tires...they aren't too bad for $60. Should get a couple years out of them.

Bought the rest of the stuff to put it together...mostly electrical stuff to armor the wiring. Some paint for the wheels, etc.

Going to start assembly tonight, and tomorrow.
Probably do the axles last, since they require welding and the deck can be on the trailer to install them. Cold won't matter to that, and since it will be warmer this weekend...

Got the wiring installed, well everything but the pieces to the axles themselves.

Turned out pretty well...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416698414005.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416698414005.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 96
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416698459174.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416698459174.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 103
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416698480248.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416698480248.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 104