Worn piston ring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KUBOTA OWNER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just finished up rebuilding a husky 51 that was mixture of parts, Bought a parts saw on ebay just for the the plastic and carb ect. --- all I had was a crank case no p/c ect. --- Well the piston
looked good but there was little or no compression. What I thought I found when I took it apart was a stuck ring.--- hope you can see in the pic of the piston ring. Never saw one worn this bad. The cylinder is perfect after cleaning out a lot of carbon. ---Wonder what caused this, too much oil?
--The piston was in good shape to, but the ring land was so carboned up that after working with
broken peice of piston ring I had to take a hack saw blade to clean it and it was still hard!!
Hope you can see the ring. --Paper thin in one spot.View attachment 289835View attachment 289842

just lotsa hours on her. make absolutly sure the piston is ok. they can look good but they can have a good amount of wear and can be a slapper.
throw the piston in the cylinder and see how much clearence there is.

I just finished up rebuilding a husky 51 that was mixture of parts, Bought a parts saw on ebay just for the the plastic and carb ect. --- all I had was a crank case no p/c ect. --- Well the piston
looked good but there was little or no compression. What I thought I found when I took it apart was a stuck ring.--- hope you can see in the pic of the piston ring. Never saw one worn this bad. The cylinder is perfect after cleaning out a lot of carbon. ---Wonder what caused this, too much oil?
--The piston was in good shape to, but the ring land was so carboned up that after working with
broken peice of piston ring I had to take a hack saw blade to clean it and it was still hard!!
Hope you can see the ring. --Paper thin in one spot.View attachment 289835View attachment 289842

Crazy! I just rebuilt a husky 50 with the exact same problem. The saw was clean as a whistle and so were the piston and cylinder. Just a ton of carbon in the ring groove and top of the exhaust port. I have now gone to the dealer twice for a ring and they keep giving me the wrong one. I've even given them the serial # off the saw. Funny though I was gonna write a post and put up the same pics.

I got rings for my 350 from a guy in Greece of all places. 2 rings and shiping for less than $10. Perfect fit.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Does the 350 have the same dia. as the 50. The second ring they gave me seems to be the correct dia. its just thick as hell. It closes tight to the ring gap pin but still hangs a hair out of the piston.

man I thought I've seen some weirdly worn rings but that takes the cake. :amazed:

The greek guys name is Dandikrop. That might even be spelled right. He's a good guy with quite a few saw parts. And he ships fast.

When I went through my 365 and 272XP, the pistons had similar wear with the 272 having serious cracks on both in/ex skirts. I was very surprised it didn't let go and do a lot of damage. The 365 was so thin a swear I could see light through it but no crackage. The two cylinders were almost perfect. I guess my point is to follow the previous advice and take some measurements.

Stephen, the piston kit for my 036 came from a guy in Greece, off ebay. I didn't notice where he was from when I bought it, but the part arrived and shipping was reasonable. All the foreign mail stickers on the box were kind of cool.

Latest posts

Back