Worry about bugs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesrgreat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just a thought on bugs/pests possibly in the firewood. How many like myself take some extra wood to the basement at times? Usually just enough for the day, maybe two days when cold weather or snow is forecast. Just wondering what the chances are of getting a un-invited pest in the house that could become a problem. I'm located in north central Iowa, so the temps here are generally below freezing for the wood outside before it is brought in for fuel during the heating season. I have never noticed any bugs after the wood has been brought in and has warmed up. Just wondering what anyone else thinks about this, or past experience.
Sometimes certain wood will have small holes, and small amount of wood dust from something that bored into it, but don't notice this very often. Wondering if the cold temps would kill off most. But they survive somehow from year to year.
Thanks.

you could create a problem for yourself by bringing pests in, but as long as you watch what you're doing you should be ok...maybe don't stack next to the clean clothes pile? ;)

the only bugs that bother me from time to time are ants...usually I see them when bringing the wood in though, and can leave those chunks outside.

last year I had some show up in the house near the firewood...placed a couple traps on the pile out of kid reach, and solved my problem

as to the dust bugs and others...they're BTU thieves...when I toss a round in the stove and see one scurry around trying to get out, I just smile.

-----

some folks (myself included) sprinkle Sevin dust between the rows of wood stacked outside to help control bugs

The only bugs I have brought in are queen yellow jackets that are overwintering in the bark. They sure are a big hornet, and the cat goes nuts when they start flying around. Kind of fun to watch!:msp_biggrin: Fly swatter takes care of them, much to the cats dismay!:laugh:

I keep a face cord right in my living room where my high efficiency wood stove is. A face cord lasts me 10 to 14 days. Get a bug every now and then, but not enough to worry about. Sure is convenient to have the wood where I need it most.

Don <><

attachment.php

Last edited:
I get some of those holes/dust, and sometimes when I split a chunk for kindling the borers will fall out. From what they look like, I don't see them turning into anything that will escape during the 3-4 days they're in the house before they go in the fire. When I've brought wood into the house early enough in the fall for the weather to be warm I can hear them munching, but they seem to live mostly in the bark and the very outer layers of wood so even if a bug hatched I wouldn't expect it to go for, say, paneling. If I thought wood had powder post beetles in it I might be more careful, but I haven't seen them, just the 1/8" holes. I keep my stacks covered and pretty dry, haven't had ants.

Occasionally I'll bring in some wood to dry out, or have on hand when it gets really cold, and I have seen a a few moths, small spiders and mosquitoes "come out" when the wood warms up. It seems that the bugs tend to hide under the bark in the pine that I burn; the hard wood appears to be more bug free.

Anything with ants goes straight into the firebox. I get a sick twisted thrill from hearing them snap and pop. You should see me sneer when a stray Multiflora Rose stem shows up.

I often get mosquitoes and sometimes moths but nothing that has ever caused a problem.

Latest posts

Back