Worst nut job I've ever went to quote

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's one thing to try to make a screwed up deal with a grown man. The business with the kid is another matter. If the kid thought he was getting paid and he didn't, and if he stacked three cords and the guy only wants to pay for one, then that's criminal. Perhaps there's a friendly constable who would be willing to visit the place and verify the quantity of wood so the kid can go to small claims with that deposition in his pocket. A local judge might decide to teach the professor a lesson. You can get by with being a jerk for longer in a city than you can in the country -- you make yourself unwelcome in one Starbucks, there's another one a block away. Not the same deal in a farm community. Bad idea to make enemies.

Well said.

$125 for a cord cut split and stacked is completely reasonable... Any less, and your wasting your time...

Around here $140 or so will buy you a delivered and stacked cord of someone elses wood.

That's still close the same price -- seems like in the lower price areas standing wood goes for $10-15/cord...which is what the homeowner is providing.

Yeah, there's some offsetting stuff. You don't have to truck, dump, reload, and truck again the wood -- maybe that's $20/cord savings. But you do have to haul your splitters, and you're away from your shop if there's a mechanical issue, so maybe that's a $5/cord additional cost. We still end up darn close to $125/cord to turn standing timber into split, stacked firewood.

Wood in the woods is not a major cost component of firewood. It's turning it into firewood at the place it'll be burned that's costly and where the value comes from.

Dang Indian, he's somethin else aint he? Thats funny. I hate it for the dude when that boy's daddy shows up. He's liable to get his arse whooped lol. Ya just dont mess with peoples kids.......:angry2:

Nutjob

The worst part isn't the wood, it is far to many WAY overpaid urban nutjobs go to rural areas and drive the price of rural land up real high, then they drive up the local property taxes to the point the locals who have been there for generations can't hardly afford to live there.

I plan on stopping in by the parts store on Monday and finding out the outcome. I'll give an update, Mr. SoCal professor may get a rude awakening. I won't say we're as rural/ clanish as some parts of WV, but it is definetly a clanish area, your either born here and one of us or an outsider no matter how long you've lived here. I'll bet the boy gets his money one way or another. Rural justice can be a beech, it's a well know fact/story that a real religious guy caught a man in bed with his wife. Instead of killing him like I would have, he made him crawl around the yard naked on all fours, making him eat every pile of dog **** in the yard. It's a fact you can ask the man that was the offender about it today and he'll tell you it was the best tasting dog **** he's ever eat, better than eating the #4's out of a 12 gauge.lol

I had a guy call this summer for two full cords of wood. I delivered this fall when I had time and i was told to stack it in the garage in his racks. The racks did measure two full cords... And i had the cords stacked at home so I knew they were full. I collected earnest money on the first load and it took five more to fill his "two cords"!!! I kept telling him his two cords were full after the fourth pickup load and he said he wouldn't pay til the racks were full. I filled the racks just so I could actually get my money... Guy was a cop and i didn't want any trouble since its illegal to bootleg wood across county lines here where I live. Anyway... I noticed upon final delivery and payment he had a stack on the back porch and a rank in the back yard. Ugh... Lesson learned.

I just got taken the same way. I made a fifty mile delivery(no extra charge) because I was gonna be in the area anyway. I dumped on the driveway and drove off at the customer request. I dont get a lot of those. Three hours later i get a call and they guy claims I shorted him. I ask him how much and apologize and then assure him Im on my way back. He asks for an email address so he can send a picture of his rack. Well imagine that, the rack is barely half full. I dump on the driveway again and drive away with fingers crossed. word of mouth is my advertisement. This time I took my lick.

Indian, did you conspire with Avalancher on this?? Sounds like a thing that would happen to him, not you! :hmm3grin2orange:

Back when I installed septic systems, i was about to install one for a homeowner when he asked when payment was expected. I told him If the backhoe is back on the lowboy, payment is already late!

Ted

Nutjob

The worst part isn't the wood, it is far to many WAY overpaid urban nutjobs go to rural areas and drive the price of rural land up real high, then they drive up the local property taxes to the point the locals who have been there for generations can't hardly afford to live there.

Then they try to tell YOU, HOW and WHEN to do your work.

I'll relate a story a lot of you will like. We had a guy move out here and bought a little piece(5 acres) of woods ground with a house in the middle of it. Little creek running through it and bordered 3 different farmers ground. Immediately started complaining about farmer spreading manure and the smell. farmer tried to work with the guy and didn't spread near him but then it was the smell from his feedlot. went to the police on them for working after 11:00 PM in the fields as it was "bothering" his sleep time.

He was a BIG time nature guy and said runoff was effecting his sanctuary and was getting the water tested. said the animals were being effected and his trees were showing signs of damage. Needless to say, things at the local coffeshop (farmer gathering point) were getting heated. This went on for 2 years and the only relief was the yearly month vacation he took in the spring.

the 3rd year he went on vacation, "somehow" over 25 ground moles, 5 Beaver, 12 ground hogs and 10 racoons "relocated" to his property. When he came back his property looked like a war zone with trees down everywhere and a minefield of a yard. He moved out after that brush with "nature." Don't mess with farmers.

Post the dudes phone number with his name...I'd bet a few call him to educate the misguided...as far as I can tell he's a thief....if I was that boy's dad ...I'd pay my son and then go over to work out the debt repayment with the thief.

Beating the kid out of his money makes the professor a thief. I cut and split fire wood for a farmers' wife when I was in school one weekend. She didn't get off the tractor except to run the splitter. I did the rigging, the brushing, cutting and played "pack mule" on every piece of wood. When all was finished Sunday after noon, I ask if she could pay me in cash, if not all she owed me at least in part, so I could gas up my car and grab a bite to eat on the way home, I was BROKE. She says to me, some what indignant, " I haven't sold the wood yet, you don't get payed untill the wood sells". :mad2: I tried to explain to her I was broke and didn't realize were partners, thought I was just working as mindless labor and need my money. She sent her husband out, he paid me $40.00 !!! for two days hard labor..never again,,lesson learned .

You take pictures

I had a guy call this summer for two full cords of wood. I delivered this fall when I had time and i was told to stack it in the garage in his racks. The racks did measure two full cords... And i had the cords stacked at home so I knew they were full. I collected earnest money on the first load and it took five more to fill his "two cords"!!! I kept telling him his two cords were full after the fourth pickup load and he said he wouldn't pay til the racks were full. I filled the racks just so I could actually get my money... Guy was a cop and i didn't want any trouble since its illegal to bootleg wood across county lines here where I live. Anyway... I noticed upon final delivery and payment he had a stack on the back porch and a rank in the back yard. Ugh... Lesson learned.

I just got taken the same way. I made a fifty mile delivery(no extra charge) because I was gonna be in the area anyway. I dumped on the driveway and drove off at the customer request. I dont get a lot of those. Three hours later i get a call and they guy claims I shorted him. I ask him how much and apologize and then assure him Im on my way back. He asks for an email address so he can send a picture of his rack. Well imagine that, the rack is barely half full. I dump on the driveway again and drive away with fingers crossed. word of mouth is my advertisement. This time I took my lick.

I take pictures of my load, the area the wood is being unloaded at, my truck when empty and the area the wood went too. I try to get the picture of my empty truck and the stack in the same picture. Cheap and effective safeguard against he said she said stuff. I also openly carry a pistol on my hip when delivering. I have yet to have any payment issues, folks usually want to pay right up front for me.

I liked the prof's economic model so much I thought I'd give it a try.

Filled up my pickup and told the service station manager that I'd be back to pay as soon as I burned off that tank of fuel. He was not receptive to the idea. Go figure?

I'd say the prof is off his rocker. Maybe a piece of cord wood upside the head will get him thinking straight.

With regards to screwing the kid around, I'd be loading up the wood the kid cut and hold it hostage until payment is made or sell it off to recover my expenses.

The guy seems to be used to nat'l gas ........burn for one month....pay next month...
I would consider cutting 3 cords......leave one;( take "home" two for collateral.)...he pays.....cut another......he pays......then if he no pays.......keep the two....if he would agree to that in writing....just sayin....

Nut job, probably way liberal. The guy has been in the education system way too long...

Silly assumption. Could easily be another form of Abramoff, Newt, Cheney, and the list goes on.
Get real. Theft of service works well for the entitled right also.

Silly assumption. Could easily be another form of Abramoff, Newt, Cheney, and the list goes on.
Get real. Theft of service works well for the entitled right also.

Time to quit drinkin' the koolaid... I warned you about that stuff yank...
:big_smile:

The cabinet shop i work at buys all its wood via "VMI" ( vendor managed inventory) they store bundles of kiln dried oak, maple, cherry, walnut and various plywoods and sheet goods on our floor until we need it and break open a bundle. we either tell them we broke into one or they come by periodically to see themselves. this system has been working well, and the supplier is the one that came up with the idea.

Latest posts

Back