Worst Smelling Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Reaction score
Talking about green wood, not seasoned. My buddy had a lot of trees come down in the last storm. He even went out to TSC and bought a 460Rancher so he could cut it up for me. I was skeptical cause he has a lot of pines, but he assured me there is wood there that took a lot longer to get through than the pines. I show up and load up. Not sure what the one kind is but WHEW, does it STINK when split. Im TALKING HOLD YOUR NOSE AND STAND UP WIND. The middle is a bit rotten, which might cause some fermentation Im thinking, but man does this stuff reek. Im talking like dog barf. Its awfully wet too, water pours out when the maul is sunk into it. So I dunno, what the deal is. Whats the worst smelling you guys have ever smelled?:msp_confused:

Red oak can smell bad when green but it sweetens up during seasoning. Do the ends turn blue where the maul hit? If they turn blue you have red oak.

Red oak is the worst smelling wood I can think of, but once you realize the BTU value you get used to it. Also, cottonwood had a very distinct stink to it as does willow. Both of which could very well have the water pour out of them when hit with a maul but get feather lite when seasoned.

Which oak is the PISS oak? I know there is one that smells like piss when split? This wood smells way worse than the oak.

Sounds a lot like our cottonwood, really stinks when cut full of water and when dry feels like balsa. On rare occasion there is a pulp market here, after a day of falling and skidding wife won't let you in house until pants and shirt are left outside.

I cut up something earlier this year that smelled like piss. I don't know what it was, but it wasn't oak. I think red oak stinks, but this was way worse.

In my experience, the only wood which consistently stinks even without the rottenness in the middle is Ailanthus (Tree of Heaven) or a Princess Tree.

Both have smooth bark, grow really fast (lots of space between rings), and the wood has a yellowish tint. Sound familiar?

Also, since it is a weak tree it would come down in the same type of wind conditions as a pine or some other conifer.

I burned some type of white birch once. It really stunk when cut and split. Smoked like crazy too. Crappy stuff but I burned it nonetheless.

Latest posts

Back