Worst Smelling Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
worst smelling to cut in my area is box elder. worst smelling smoke ive ever had was from basswood. its like raw gasoline vapors coming out of the stove. box elder is close on the smoke but basswood takes the cake

As a general rule of thumb, wood and women have some similarities. If it smells THAT bad, you might wanna try a different one!! (please see disclaimer at bottom of post)

worst smelling to cut in my area is box elder. worst smelling smoke ive ever had was from basswood. its like raw gasoline vapors coming out of the stove. box elder is close on the smoke but basswood takes the cake

I hate boxelder, I will take basswood over boxelder any day. Boxelder in just plain old nasty and I agree with you 100%! I wont touch the stuff! Even if cut up and stacked for me at my back door, I would not burn it.:msp_biggrin:

my vote for best smelling wood is white oak that has been down a couple of years, but not full of ants. Smells like vanilla mixed with an expensive chardonnay. The white oak from central missouri makes some of the best wine and bourbon barrels in the world. They don't make barrels from the wood around here, but we are close.

Dan

The worst smelling around here would either be basswood or boxelder, the best smelling would probably be black ash.

Love the smell of Red oak when working it and stacking fresh green. When I first started burning I made the mistake of taking some into the house still green/wet and within the next day smelled horrible like mildew.

I heard that sycamore smells like piss when you burn it. Can anyone tell me the truth on that. Just curious. Most of what I have to cut is red oak and wild cherry.

Sent from my iPhone using My Fingers

Last edited:
Funny, I love the smell of red oak. Some say it smells like ralph. To me it has a butter smell. Butter not bitter.
The stinkiest thing around here is of course the box elder. But it really isn't as bad as yor description.

I've been cutting hard maple and when i burn it.....smells like bacon and pancake syrup! Should be able to get $100 a face cord for scratch and sniff firewood don't ya think?

2nd the box elder. Most useless tree in the woods

As a general rule of thumb, wood and women have some similarities. If it smells THAT bad, you might wanna try a different one!! (please see disclaimer at bottom of post)

If it smells like fish, do as you wish, if it smells like cologne leave it alone. :laugh:

Last edited:
I dont much care what the tree smells like when I'm cutting it so long as I'm getting to smell the 2-cycle exhaust of my saw :rock:

Latest posts

Back