worth it to upgrade from a 290 to a 361P?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is the only real difference between a 290 and a 361P the extra .6 HP? Or is there a lot more to it, such as a better torque curve, more usable power, etc? i know the 290 is a mid-range saw and the 361P is a pro saw, but names are just names. Is there a world of difference between these two, especially for someone who already owns a 290? Thanks.

Same question on the 192 and 200t.... 1/3rd HP difference and that's it?

Is the only real difference between a 290 and a 361P the extra .6 HP? Or is there a lot more to it, such as a better torque curve, more usable power, etc? i know the 290 is a mid-range saw and the 361P is a pro saw, but names are just names. Is there a world of difference between these two, especially for someone who already owns a 290? Thanks.

Same question on the 192 and 200t.... 1/3rd HP difference and that's it?

Huge differences. The 290/310/390 are build on what I term uni-body. Because of their "clamshell" design, if you have a major failure, it's a throw away saw. The labor cost to rip it down and do the repair will be more than a new saw.

Same goes for the 192T.

The 361 and 200T are pro grade saws, intended to be abused and rebuildable.

If you already own a 290, unless the shop is going to give you a fair trade value, and right now they might, no need to switch. Honestly to make that statement, I'd need to know alot more about what you do. Considering you are also looking at the 200T, I'd guess you do tree work, in which case the answer is hell yes.

No reason to trade in a 290 when they are going for near new prices on ebay. Sell it and get a 361.

Used 290's are going for almost new prices? Mine is slightly used, probably 15 tanks of gas through it.

Check Craigslist and E-bay. There was a 290 in South Jersey that was listed for 250ish. On the other hand Philly has a 260 and 280 that's been listed for several weeks ~250'ish that still have not sold.

If you've not run a 361, let me know, I'm just north of you a bit...I'll let you put one in the cut if you like.

Check Craigslist and E-bay. There was a 290 in South Jersey that was listed for 250ish. On the other hand Philly has a 260 and 280 that's been listed for several weeks ~250'ish that still have not sold.

If you've not run a 361, let me know, I'm just north of you a bit...I'll let you put one in the cut if you like.

What zip code are you in? I'm in 19014.

Take Paul up on his offer, bring your 290 and it's my bet that you will pick up a 361, any takers?

There is a lot of fun flack about the 361, but 95% of it is true, like there cancer curing abilities.

I sold a 310 and bought a 361, never looked back.

I am the ex-president of the I :heart: My 290 club here on AS. I also have two 361s.

After buying my frist 361 after running the 290 for about 2 years, the 290 became the backup saw. After I bought the second 361, the 290 has not really been used, and it is slated to return to the ranch. The 290 is heavier, less powerful and has a LOT more vibration than the 361. It causes me more fatigue to run than the 361. The 361 is a breeze to work on. The 290 is more of a pain to work on, but if you do your own saw work like I do, the designs are not that complicated on the 290. The 290 is also a lot cheaper than the 361 though...

If you only want more power, the 361 does not really have that much more oomph than a muffler modified 290. So if you are after raw power, a 361 is probably not the saw to get. More metal on the 361, like the side cover and recoil cover. Also the white plastic grip is far better on the 361. The AV is superior, and on par with the Husky line. It also has a decomp starter button that the 290 lacks (and should have).

Instead of buying a 361 you might want to consider modifying your 290 with a muffler mod. Open up the muffler and tweek the carb to richen it up and you will get about 10% more power. You can also add a rim sprocket for a better chain drive. They have no problem with running a 20 inch bar, and 3/8 standard chain. The oiler is already adjustible on the 290. You could add a decomp button on it as well. The air filter is better on the 361; the 290 air filter is OK at best.

Last edited:
I'm a huge supporter of the MS361. I've used pretty much every model STIHL has out there (and all the ECHOs, several Huskys, along with seveal Dolmars, JDs, Efcos, etc) and the 361 is my favorite saw. I really like the power-to-weight ratio and the saw has given me absolutely no problems. However the old 029, Super 029, and 290 series has been a very faithful workhorse over the years and it as much saw as most folks will ever need. If you were to upgrade to the 361 I don't think you'd ever be sorry (for the money difference I really think the lighter weight, air filter, more power, and AV system are worth the jump). For 2009 STIHL is even adding the "Magnum" designation to the 361, but as far as I know there won't be any changes to the specs or design.

Last edited:
Since I started this thread, I bought a 260 pro and sold my 290 for $275. Now I need something larger. I'm wondering if someone who has a 260 really needs a 361, it's like why not get a 441 and really have everything covered...decisions, decisions.

Man get and keep'em both. Nothing like a saw resting in the shade if you should hit a nail or break a pull rope.

If you want me to talk to your ol' lady and talk her into it I will.

I have a 026 and was considering the 361 for my 3 saw plan. Some guys stated that the 361 wasn't a big jump over the 026. Some thought that a 440 would be a better choice. I can tell you one thing for sure. There's no better asset than raw HP. If trying to choose between two saws Always error on the side of more HP. WDO

Guys ever seen a 023? I was told it's a west coast saw. Can't even see one in the catalogs here.

Man you talk about a riping @ss small saw. I love my 023!

Guys ever seen a 023? I was told it's a west coast saw. Can't even see one in the catalogs here.

Man you talk about a riping @ss small saw. I love my 023!

MS-230? About the same weight as my 260 Pro except .7 HP less, and rated as "occasiona"l instead of "pro". Or maybe you're talking about something else?

OK now this is weird...the two messages I just posted were actually written as ONE, and it split them somehow. Strange...very.

Last edited:
I have a 026 and was considering the 361 for my 3 saw plan. Some guys stated that the 361 wasn't a big jump over the 026. Some thought that a 440 would be a better choice. I can tell you one thing for sure. There's no better asset than raw HP. If trying to choose between two saws Always error on the side of more HP. WDO

I could see myself pulling a 361 up in the tree with me some day, the 441...not so sure. Now on the ground, 441 would win hands down.

MS-230? About the same weight as my 260 Pro except .7 HP less, and rated as "occasiona"l instead of "pro". Or maybe you're talking about something else?

OK now this is weird...the two messages I just posted were actually written as ONE, and it split them somehow. Strange...very.

023C Good saw bro I wouldn't bullsh!t ya.
I use it daily as a climbing saw. I like the extra power, reach and bigger gas tank over the cute climbing saws most the guys use.
Use to climb with 210's but the 023C is just a little more.

Last edited:
023C Good saw bro I wouldn't bullsh!t ya.
I use it daily as a climbing saw. I like the extra power, reach and bigger gas tank over the cute climbing saws most guys use.
Use to climb with 210's but the 023C is just a little more.

Got a link to a 023C? I assume the 230 is completely different?

Latest posts

Back