Worth moving my mango for? (Maybe an oak?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecondGenMonkey

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This little guy sprouted up a couple months back. At first I thought it must be a holly bush (like real holly, not Brazilian pepper) But I'm thinking it may be an oak.
Doesn't look like the live oak, water oak or whites I'm used to. Wondering if anyone can identify it So I can decide if I should move my mango and key lime trees to a different spot.

y7avu3a4.jpg
ate7urum.jpg

The leaves have broadened and lost some of the spikiness they had at first.
sent using logic and reason from a device forged of witchcraft.

Last edited:
Haven't seen any matching leaves in terms surrounding blocks.

Since you're talking about mango and key lime trees, my wild guess would be Calabash.

Since you're talking about mango and key lime trees, my wild guess would be Calabash.

Calabash search only brings up a gourd vine.

The mango and key lime are both trees I've planted, not volenteer trees. I can move the mango If I know this is going to be a tree worth keeping, its in the only suitable place for a large tree in the yard.

Its not calabash, thats for sure.

The leaves are stiff, like oak. They snap instead of folding completely in half.

Sent from my SGH-T999N using Tapatalk

I've been trying to grow a mango tree for the last 10 years. I keep hoping to find one that can survive the three or four days of really cold weather we get here in Riverside. I start them from seed. I had one for two years but left it out during a rare freeze we had. I use to belong to the "rare fruit growers association", I take it where your from a Mango isn't a rare fruit. Not to far from where I live, in fallbrook they're growing a few experimental groves of mango, a gold one(california oro).
I would pull that thing up and keep the mango, but then you can see I'm partial to Mangos. Oaks are nice but Acorns taste like sh _ _. Anyway I don't think thats an oak. I'd look around for a 100 yards in each direction and see if I could find the tree it came from. Birds don't eat acorns as far as I know so it couldn't of traveled to far from its parent tree if it is an oak. It does look just like the macadamia tree I tried to grow in my front yard. Kind of looks a little like a carrotwood tree too.
I'm curious what it is also. Let us know if you find out . Thanks
imagescarrotwood.jpg

Last edited:
Just got back from Fairchild Tropical Park. Its definately macadamia.

I called the landlord and they had a mac removed from that very spot two years ago. Im pretty sure the roots shot up a sucker

Oh, as for mangoes.... I go for trees from cuttings because they tend to fruit faster.

I know the mangoes down here can survive a couple days at 50f or so once they are at the 20gallon pots. One trick ive seen used in colder climes is to wrap pots in a heat blanket (like for your back). Im not a nursery dude, so I cant be much more help. Dunno about what happens when your ground frosts.

Sent from my SGH-T999N using Tapatalk

Back