Wose than elm ? ! Maybe IS Elm ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like Hickory/Pecan. I cut a hickory aprox 24" dia it had a hard lean prob 30-40 degress from vertical it was very interlocked like an Elm. Noodled most of it was easyer than splitting and chopping all the strings loose. Growing conditions have a lot to do with variations within a species.

Agreed... Growing conditions make a huge difference, even within the same species... The piece on the splitter looks suspiciously like a Pignut Hickory. I'd say Pecan too, but my experience with those is extremely limited. The only ones I've ever gotten my hands on are under 12" DBL, and go into my smoking wood pile. Rare nuggets around here...:hmm3grin2orange:

Use an angle head grinder and grind the welds off of those wings on your wedge. It will give you the knife blade as stated above.

Be it hickory or elm, you, my friend have just stumbled upon the very reason I built a large log splitter. I have split elm that made a believer out of me. Not any more.

View attachment 188133
188133d1308774995-1035small.jpg

Last edited:
I like the way the photos of others appear without any extra action right in
with the message. My photo attachments require everyone to click on each
file. How do I get them to appear automatically ?

Let It Sit.

Whenever I run into a round that behaves like this, I have a simple rule of thumb--set it aside for about 6 months and let it dry, preferably in the sun.

Half a year later, it pops rather cleanly. That works for elm, sycamore, cottonwood, birch, etc. -- about anything that's stringy. Forget fooling with it while green.

Last year I got into some pecan that split exactly like that, it was some hard work, but that's what I had.

Any species of wood can be hard to split, it varies from tree to tree.I split some pecan this year that busted real easy.

I'm with Jags. Get rid of those angle wings on your wedge and you'll be in business!! Good luck!

No can do with a wedge on cylinder design. Check the pic again. Without the wings the cylinder clevis will hit the wood.

187559d1308374342-wedge-shape1571sm-jpg

That's a species of elm. Hickory and pecan don't split that bad and or stringy. I've split hickory before. It's tuff but it doesn't string out that bad..

+2. Looks like A Chinese elm to me. Hickory is nowhere near that stingy, have had some stringy red elm, nothing like Chinese or urine elm.

There is the possibility of replacing the original wings with narrower wings
that would still shield the clevis pin. What I would really like is the ability
to remove and add supplemental wings with a portable quick and easy
technique that would give me the best spread ability on easy to split woods
and then for the tough stuff, revert back to the narrow long wedge to
slice deep into the stringy stuff.

Looks like a pecan tree to me. I've had 2 given to me that were blown down. Both were exactly the same, very stringy and tough to split. I have another pecan tree that was blown over about 3 months ago, I will snap some bark pictures of it when I get a chance. Excellent firewood, if you are patient with the splitter.

TFB

Looks like a pecan tree to me. I've had 2 given to me that were blown down. Both were exactly the same, very stringy and tough to split. I have another pecan tree that was blown over about 3 months ago, I will snap some bark pictures of it when I get a chance. Excellent firewood, if you are patient with the splitter.

TFB

Not to mention, makes a damn fine pulled pork...
:after_boom:

Latest posts

Back