would this be good enough

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Wacker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i found a wood splitter for 50.00 local and i went to check it out.and come to find out it is a gas powered home made splitter with a 3.5 briggs on it from a push mower.but it has some carb problems so i said heck for 50.00 bucks i couldn't go wrong.but i wanted to come on here and ask and see if would be worth the time to change the engine out to a 6.5 horse or what.i got to put a trailer hitch and some bigger tires on it to be street legal but thats not a problem. here is some pictures of it tell me what you think of it.

logsplitter3.jpg

logsplitter2.jpg

logsplitter1.jpg

The wedge looks a wee bit under sized. How big of a oil reserve? Yes a bigger engine will help some. You would be wise to rebuild the pump and the cylinder.

i'm not sure yet it looks like a 2 1/2 or a 3 gal. or something like that.and i was going to replace the pump to a 2 stage and rebuild the cylinder.and if i can get this old wedge off i would put a bhigger one on it.

I've always wanted one just about like that, with the idea I would mount it on the front of my wood hauling trailer. I hope to mount one there some day on a pivot so I can swing it out for use or swing it in for transport. A small one like that would be ideal. Great buy!!

yeah i thought 50.00 bucks was to good to be true.but when i got there and looked at it i almost broke my arm getting the money out to pay for it.but what i was going to do is put a bigger axle and tires under it and put a trailer hitch on it.and pull it with my truck to where i cut wood at.

Well, don't get too excited. It's not going to do any big stuff, or any knots, but it should split the smaller/easier stuff.

IDK, sometimes they surprise you. my splitter is only 5hp and it has split everything i've thrown at it including knots and crotchs. i just can't stall it.

what size cylinder does it have and what GPM pump is on it? i'd probably just weld a couple of wings on the wedge you have there. 6.5hp would most likely be a welcomed improvement, if you have the motor why isn't it on there yet? LOL

Doesn't look like a bad deal for $50...worse case scenario you could get your money+ out of parts.

Hard to be sure but sizing per the hoses, etc., the whole thing looks to be built on the "light" side. Cylinder looks to be less than 4", I'm guess 3". If I am reight about sizes, it is not going to handle a 2 stage pump.

Harry K

I'd have bought it for $50. Running and working it would be worth an easy $300-500 around me. I would try to get it running first and then decide what you want to do with it. A 6.5hp engine may or may not make it a faster splitter, it depends on the size of the pump and ram.

It Dont know if the 2500# or what ever the cylinder is rated for is coming from a single or two stage pump.As far as the cyl and pump goes if it aint broke don't fix it. I would have given him the 50 real quick.:rock:

IDK, sometimes they surprise you. my splitter is only 5hp and it has split everything i've thrown at it including knots and crotchs. i just can't stall it.

what size cylinder does it have and what GPM pump is on it? i'd probably just weld a couple of wings on the wedge you have there. 6.5hp would most likely be a welcomed improvement, if you have the motor why isn't it on there yet? LOL

i haven't looked at it too much but i'm going out this morrin and see what kind of pump and cylinder it has on it.and i'm going to check out my 6.5 horse engine and make sure it runs good.and then see what it can split i'm not looking to put big stuff on it like a 22 ton speeco.but if it needs a bigger cylinder and pump i'll go out and pick them up and put them on.

Harry,
I'm curious. Why do you believe it won't handle a 2-stage pump?
Don't get me wrong... I'm not arguing, but I don't see the reasoning.
Am I missing something?

Perhaps I am mistaken but my reasoning is that a single stage pump will stall if the round is too 'tough' but a dual stage will put out more force when it kicks down and power through. Basing that on my old homebuilt vs the new TroyBilt.

Am I wrong?

Latest posts

Back