Would this happen? Trade 039 for 038?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamradio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi,
I have an 039. My dad has an 038 av. I used it a little last year, and like it much more than my 039. Is there anyone out there who would trade an 038 for an 039? I'm not posting a classified ad here; I'm wondering, would it actually happen if I posted an ad in the classifieds, or would I just be laughed at?

Hi,
I have an 039. My dad has an 038 av. I used it a little last year, and like it much more than my 039. Is there anyone out there who would trade an 038 for an 039? I'm not posting a classified ad here; I'm wondering, would it actually happen if I posted an ad in the classifieds, or would I just be laughed at?

If your dad is not suckering you into an abused saw and you can handle a couple more pounds take it. The 038 will outlast and is easier to work on than an 039. The power level will depend on which 038? A magnum will flat out smoke and outlast a 039: it is a joke. A standard 03A8AV will cut as fast, weigh a bit more and LAST MUCH LONGER, easier to work on too..........

038 AVS (e.g. super) ? Yes, much better than a 039. In between 038 AV and 038 AVM

Heh, no way in hell my dad will let go of his 038. He just has an 038av. Not a super, not a magnum. I mean, around here, is there anyone who would trade their 038 for my 039 (again, not looking for actual people, just wondering if there are people like this), or would people laugh their asses off at me?

The 038 in any form is pretty highly regarded on AS. Not so much the 039, which is essentially an inflated 029/MS310. They are considered good saws for homeowner use, but there's a few folks on here that plain ol' dislike them (you know who you are, Niko!).

I've rebuilt an MS290 and used it for a spell to make sure everything was sound before selling it, and it seemed like a decent saw. If you take them apart, though, it is fairly easy to detect why it is considered a homeowner design.

Of the two, I'd go for the 038, but I have a weakness for the old pre-EPA magnesium.

Last edited:
Huh. I'll go post in the classifieds, and see if anyone wants to do a part trade. Kind of doubt it, but maybe someone would.

I dislike the 039 for its homeowner design. The 038 seems to have such a better feel to it. I love it much more. Also much easier to work on, IMO.

I should qualify the statement I made above.... the 029-derived saws are apparenty fabulous sellers and seem to have a loyal following. The fellow I sold the MS290 to said he ONLY worked with ms290s.. I though it was a bit extreme, but it underscored how much people do like them. Provided it is in good shape, your 039 should fetch a very good price. Sell that saw and tap the piggy bank a little and go buy a used 044 or something. The 038s are great saws, but you might want to step up a bit to something more contemporary (think parts!)

Latest posts

Back