Would this work for a first (and infrequently used) climbing saddle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I don't plan on climbing regularly or even high for that matter.

Would this harness work for a climbing saddle? I figured it'd also work as a fall arrest harness for climbing radio towers.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-U...-Rings-Medium-Large-Harness-H232102/205710386

Maybe there's something better for the around $100 range. Even though I'd like to buy something nice, I don't have $200-$500 to spend on a saddle right now. I'd rather have something vs nothing at all.

Thanks. I've heard that new is best for climbing gear but maybe that applies mostly to ropes, fliplines, etc.

Do saddles usually wear out to where they'd be dangerous? I'd guess not but I've got no experience there.

While at home depot could always get a offcut of plywood for a bosun seat. In all seriousness working at height is no place to cheap out with little or no experience.

Buying cheap equipment is expensive because it is CHEAP CRAP. You will end up replacing it after a few uses with quality equipment or trashing it because you can't get jobs done with it and go out of business.

I hear you on anything serious from big box. I've heard here and a few other places that these were good saddles for the money ($250):
http://www.sherrilltree.com/Cougar-Rope-Bridge-Saddle#.VdvJb7Oalko

But even that is more than I'd like to spend. I just want something I can get up 20-30 feet with more safety than without any gear (I wouldn't even think about climbing that high with nothing but arms and legs as my 3 points of contact). If I were in the tree business, I'd consider climbing gear the first purchase (before cutting tools). Not being in the business, I'd like to find something affordable if it exists. I won't be bringing my Stihls up into the tree with me (just handsaws). But I'd like to do it with restraints.

I hear you on anything serious from big box. I've heard here and a few other places that these were good saddles for the money ($250):
http://www.sherrilltree.com/Cougar-Rope-Bridge-Saddle#.VdvJb7Oalko

But even that is more than I'd like to spend. I just want something I can get up 20-30 feet with more safety than without any gear (I wouldn't even think about climbing that high with nothing but arms and legs as my 3 points of contact). If I were in the tree business, I'd consider climbing gear the first purchase (before cutting tools). Not being in the business, I'd like to find something affordable if it exists. I won't be bringing my Stihls up into the tree with me (just handsaws). But I'd like to do it with restraints.
The cougar is a great entry level sadle.

I am always cautious about buying used equipment. Not that it wouldn't work, but you don't know where it has been, and why aren't the leg straps there. And if you have to buy the replacement bridge and leg straps . . . hmm.

I am always cautious about buying used equipment. Not that it wouldn't work, but you don't know where it has been, and why aren't the leg straps there. And if you have to buy the replacement bridge and leg straps . . . hmm.

I read on Weaver's product info that if a saddle (or parts of it perhaps) takes a hard fall, it should be retired. Maybe that's the case on this one.

Pretty much any fall protection or climbing equipment from any manufacturer is supposed to be retired after a fall. I am sure that it has to do with liability on their part, but I suspect that a fall seriously compromises/stresses the material of the harness and equipment. Better safe than sorry.

What are you planning on doing anyway at height?

I've got to clear some branches that are in the way and figure that it won't be the last time I'll have this problem (live on acreage). I've ordered a good handsaw (Japanese Silkey).

Unfortunately if something needs to be done, I have a pretty independent mindset (in other words, I have more will power than money... lol). I do lots of dangerous things in my day to day work. Most are a risk of limb and not life. Tree climbing is definitely life and limb.

Then again, getting in a car is a risk of both.

Just to update this thread and thanks for all the insight so far... I ended up buying this Weaver Saddle:
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1510 (Weaver Cotton 4-Dee Saddle)
I'm sure my butt won't thank me for buying a cheaper saddle but I'll only be wearing it a couple hours at a time. I also bought 120' of 1/2" Arbor Plex Climbing Rope. Not a Cadillac of ropes I realize, but it seems to be plenty strong.

Lastly I bought 3 of these rope snaps:
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=18
I'm going to make two flip lines from the climbing rope with prusiks tied off (distel hitch) on the right D loops and rope-clipped on my left D loops.

This is $204 all said and done. I was able to source a helmet locally. I couldn't have afforded much more for now.

I feel confident in the rope, I'm pretty familiar with knots but not for this application, I will be doing homework on the best knots to affix to the D rings. I may use double or triple fishermans possibly for that and the rope snaps.

The first tree is pretty straight and uniform to the 20-30' height I'm climbing so I may not even need prusiks to adjust my fliplines for the first climb with the new gear.

No spikes since it's keeper trees I'm working in... Just rope climbing and one has strap on steps. I've watched a video or two on rope climbing. One was by treeboi4life. I'll also be picking up the Tree Climber's Companion book.

Back