Would you buy a saw here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipjack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The attached pic is from a saw dealer in Burks Falls, Ontario. This is the entrance way to his shop/house. The guy has been selling saws for years & apparently was at one point one of the top Stihl dealers in NA. I bought a new Husky saw from him & was amazed when he pulled a brand new bar from that pile of junk to use on my saw!!:eek:

Well organized. Probably knows right where everything is.
Or you caught him it the middle of inventory.....

My local dealer here in New Mexico has a small warehouse that looks like that. It's so bad I can't get anyone who works there to risk going in to find a part for a Dolmar I bought from them years ago. I volunteered to make the trek, but they said their insurance wouldn't cover me. They could make a small fortune on eBay.

The real question is whether or not you would want this guy to work on your saw, or how long it might take him.

He's cleaned his storage area up since the last picture of his place was posted. I would say about 2 years ago or so.

first id check and see if hes strait up.[old meaning].no stolen stuff...then do a little buisiness with him to decide if i can believe what he says..then if im lucky, he really knows what hes talking about ,,as to saws . then buy from him ,which is after all,, the acid test.. if hes got low overhead, knows his stuff and is honest to boot.. me nor that saw i bought ,,niether one give a crap what his building looks like..im betting hes a solo operation..kinda like me..u oughta see my truck at end of the week.. but i tell u one thing ...., theys a hell of a lot of operations out there competing with me,,
that really dont know even the basics
of lawn care nor proper shaping of trees and a hundred more things..a whole lot ofum dont know how to sharpen a mower blade nor chain rite..the do know how to sweat making a great big loan payment each month tho.. jmo

I buy all my 3120 's from Gibb , great guy once you get to know him, there are no 090's at his place, he treats me very well so i drive the 2 hours over to his place to buy saws , now i donot stay for supper but have been asked if i would like to, his bother Frank is also a good guy , and for guys going there , Gibb does not say much so donot think he is alittle slow cause he is not and i have seen him when people try to play little games on him, he just picks up the saw and walks back in to the house, no saw for you, you leave now. And as far as money him and his brother own alot of land and farms so they donot need any more , i think Gibb does it for something to do and pass the time,

When I went to buy the saw there was a line up of people to see him, some of whom had driven a fair distance just to do so. He's got quite a reputation it seems & his prices for new saws are at least $100 cheaper than any where else. Ironically he had no used saws to sell me when I asked !??!

his reason for doing so is because he can part out the saws that are traded in for alot more money, he sells his used parts for 1/2 of the new price so when he gets a used trade-in which he does not pay much for , most saws are $150 bucks for a running saw, he sells the tank and handle bar he has his money back and still has the motor, and covers, back to the part that most people donot think he is smart.

there are alot more saws than most people ever see there, he has the upper floor of a barn full and a 2 door carport right full, most are not worth much now they are from 1970's are 1980's saws .

Been there! The kitchen table also has all kinds of chainsaw parts. Just two corners of the kitfhen table clear for a place setting for each of the brothers. I spent more time talking cows than saws. They know more than a little about them too. I did get the fuel line I went for and he said he charged me a little extra because of the Stihl hat I was wearing. Interesting pair of old codgers. Probably buy a lot of us out of his petty cash jar!

Originally posted by flipjack
The attached pic is from a saw dealer in Burks Falls, Ontario. This is the entrance way to his shop/house. The guy has been selling saws for years & apparently was at one point one of the top Stihl dealers in NA. I bought a new Husky saw from him & was amazed when he pulled a brand new bar from that pile of junk to use on my saw!!:eek:

Yikes!

Gibb does not put up with fools, ask his cousin that stole money from him, Gibb had to go to court over that one , had something to do with a 12 gauge shotgun being fired at his cousin running down the laneway, not sure if he got him or not , i now he lived .
Gibb is about as straight as you can get, not much joking around with him but a good guy , not sure how much longer he is going to be around , getting pretty old now and not all that healthy

Gypo that sort of is like Gibb but he normally would not talk that much around people he doesnot know , and seems to be saying les and less to people all the time

well stocked and ready for business. organized, maybe not, but still if he knows where everything is and can find what I want, then I'll buy from him.

Hi Ed, Gibb was quite reserved when I first met him, but opened up a bit when I told him you sent me.
So if anyone wants to break the ice with Gibb, just say Ed said to say hi, but don't cross him by trying to nickel and dime him. Let Gibb make the deal and that will be his best price.
It's riot to go on Saturdays when there are 50 woodticks there.

John

Nope i donot go on the weekend cause you will wait hours to get anything and he goes to church on sunday, never says a bad word.
John you are dead on the money about letting him tell you how much cause i have seen him lots of times just pick up the saw and walk into the house , i have nothing to sell to you is all he would say and that was that

I heard about these Gibb brothers way back in the 90's when Doug Mellor had Arborist.com, word was you can get just about anything in their shop if you have a civil tongue in your head and a gleam about your eye.

I guess i am lucky or maybe i just used my head for once but i have been all over the place and in the secret basement which not many others have been , to be honest i donot know of any others being in it, found a brandnew partner 7000 plus and a p100 brandnew, figures he has a brandnew 166 s-dolmar but have not found it yet,
I have not figured out why stihl pulled out from him, I know the other dealers in Ontario were pissed cause he was selling saws cheaper than they were and most figured if he didnot have them they would go to there store to buy them wrong answer, one of the main reason's most loggers deal with Gibb is because if he is up then he is open for bussiness which means most nights until 11 pm, everyone just changed to husky over night , i gave him a hand one night just after they pulled out, we figured out the saw sales and parts for that year just for stihl, it was over $375,000
and i know the other dealers in the area didnot gain anything after they pulled out but i do think husk's rep sent stihl a thank you card for xmas

Thanks for posting that article John. I also have it, but as luck would have it, can't find it when needed.
I need to take a drive up there and see him one of these days. I need some parts for my Dad's old Homelite Super XL130

Back