Would you buy the new Ford F-150 with the Aluminum body?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy the new Ford F-150 with aluminum body?

• Yes, i would buy one.

Votes: 33 61.1%
  • No, wouldn't buy one cause it's still a Ford.

Votes: 21 38.9%

• Total voters
My local paper the Times Reporter had an article on this and said the new body is 97 percent alum and 700 lbs lighter . It also said that they sell a new ford truck every 41 seconds and make an estimated 10,000 dollars profit on each ford superduty truck ! I was suprised that they can make that much profit on each truck. I'm a chevy guy so i probably won't ever have one .

Might be a good deal, figured the salt on roads would not rust it as bad. Supposed to be aircraft alum. Wonder if the price will increase.

Buy the 450 HP Boss if you just have to have a Ford. It will be a lot more fun and if you need a half ton pickup get the new Dodge diesel half ton. Good fuel mileage and a great ride with rear coil springs.

most of us have seen "white death", salt will do that to lower grade alum. I for one would be interested in knowing what ford's using... IF it turns out to be a good selling point, gm, dodge will do it, too... ive built alum boats, last was 93' trawler. 5051 & better. owner of that boatyard put it best "aluminum is like cheese", when it comes to repairing impact damage... options for body repair will 9/10x will be replace part/panel, aint gonna be cheap...

I went GM back in 1995 as far as new purchases go and never looked back. Not because of Ford products but because of the local dealer. I like the aluminum idea but I figure it will be a cheap alum. alloy body.

Was considering putting an aluminum bed on a truck that would plow in the winter and salt, just don't think it will be a good mix.
And since it's been brought up, I switched to Chevy in 2007 and will never buy a Ford again if I can help it. But Chevy this year and next has decided to not offer extended cab pickups until the next remodel!!! I was going to replace mine for sure this year but I guess I'll see just how many miles I can get out of it now, 194,000 so far. It is starting to rust in worrying places now though, runs, rides and tows great still.
I wonder what dumb ass bean counter decided it was a good idea to not build these trucks for a while??? I can't believe they ever considered it much less did it. Has GM turned into a gov't run business or something:dizzy: That had to be one of their best selling trucks??????

most of us have seen "white death", salt will do that to lower grade alum. I for one would be interested in knowing what ford's using... IF it turns out to be a good selling point, gm, dodge will do it, too... ive built alum boats, last was 93' trawler. 5051 & better. owner of that boatyard put it best "aluminum is like cheese", when it comes to repairing impact damage... options for body repair will 9/10x will be replace part/panel, aint gonna be cheap...
got my first "dislike" for this one... I feel special now... no comment by disliker, of course...

IMHO, an F150 is too tinny to be qualified as a real truck. If the price was low enough, say it was given to me for FREE, I could consider a Superduty F250. Otherwise, I will probably continue to be a Chevy/GMC man for the rest of my life.
You likely haven't used a 2005 on up F150, as far as the too tinny comment everbody's rigs are too "tinny" and have been since the 70"s

You likely haven't used a 2005 on up F150, as far as the too tinny comment everbody's rigs are too "tinny" and have been since the 70"s
2005 That would be one of the ejecting spark plug years, happened to my buddy, Ford stuck all the owners with the bill.

HF

I have a 99 v10, F350 ( first generation) and a 06 F250 5.4(which replaced a 99 F150 with 160k on the clock) both units are over 100k at this point, no split plugs. as far as issues if I dig I am sure I can find a bunch for any make , model, eng. So as I say pick your poison and deal with it. not bashing anything here as everyone has there own ideas. The current series F150 are decent units and can due more than enough for mr/mrs avg. For what I do the F series has treated me well, your mileage may vary.

As for the Alum. body if Ford has incorporated the technology from Jaguar concerning corrosion I do not see a problem, corrosion from road salts here during winter is the #1 killer of vehicles. only reason for the f150 going down the road was a pothole that bent the frame - cost of repair for me was beyond the net worth of the unit.

I hope that it isn't so thin that it dents when you lean against it.

I hear that they were not going to charge more. They were going to eat the cost variance because they intend to sell that many more trucks that it will offset the loss.

My guess is that damage repair will be through the roof, so many of them will just end up totaled and insurance companies will cry like a smashed alley cat.

yes i would buy it. because if they use aircraft grade aluminum i know it will be strong

I seen one tonite actually parked next to it, whatta sharp looking vehicle, im sure it can handle a load of brush or hay!I have anticipated the new Aluminum truks, a friend of mine has also been talking about them!, stihl a truck is a truck!

The better question is, do you actually think that this aluminum F150 will revolutionize the truck market like Ford is expecting?

Back