Would you run it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlmar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Spins free. If I hold the rod to 1 side and use a small pick I can spin the bearing without any real catches or hard spots. Tried it on both sides.

Just not sure if it got that hot or is factory coloring??? Saw was in a box in pieces. Reason it was tore apart was the rings stuck.

Build it or go shopping?

Attachments

• C62B9AE2-ED07-4B74-966B-8775D1E392C9.jpeg
    C62B9AE2-ED07-4B74-966B-8775D1E392C9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 93
If the big end bearing is tight- I'd run it.

I'm not sure how the word got out that if the rod is blued on either end then the crank is junk.

That's total malarkey. I've seen many a Stihl that were like that from the factory, even brand new out-of-the-box saws.
That’s the kind of truth I’m looking for. Thanks

If the big end bearing is tight- I'd run it.

I'm not sure how the word got out that if the rod is blued on either end then the crank is junk.

That's total malarkey. I've seen many a Stihl that were like that from the factory, even brand new out-of-the-box saws.
This needs to be posted at the top of the front page, lol. This comes up all the time.

alot of the larger stihl saw rods are like that from the factory. can see the big end cage in the pic which still looks plated and healthy. my mill 660 is the same way and was even before i milled with it.

I was waiting for somebody to comment on the rust. There is just a bit of surface rust. I think it will clean up fine. I blew out the cases and gave it some oil for the bearings. They seem to run smooth.

From the sounds of it I just need to get some rings ordered and get this back Together.

Thanks again everybody.

Latest posts

Back