Would you run this cylinder? MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sld961

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm cleaning up a cylinder on an MS 290. Once all the aluminum was cleaned off, I can see that there are some scratches in the plating, and I wore though the plating in one small spot under the exhaust port. If it was just one scratch, I wouldn't even ask, but there are several, plus where I wore through the plating. Would you run this cylinder? Would you feel comfortable selling the saw, with full disclosure about the imperfections.

Thanks for your feedback.

dedbb50b043faf4ca0d07d3508800ff4.jpg

7f6f329356e9269d9107e57c232a77ea.jpg

I've seen worse that ran pretty good. New piston and ring going in? I'd put it back together and see what compression is like.

I see the quandry I believe. Perhaps the question should be, "should I put this back together and try to sell it" or "should I keep this one for myself."
Understandable, even with clarification. It appears to be heavily honed (even though I was not there). Will it run, certainly. Should it be sold to an
unwary buyer -- that depends on your definition of "integrity". My 2 pennies.

I see the quandry I believe. Perhaps the question should be, "should I put this back together and try to sell it" or "should I keep this one for myself."
Understandable, even with clarification. It appears to be heavily honed (even though I was not there). Will it run, certainly. Should it be sold to an
unwary buyer -- that depends on your definition of "integrity". My 2 pennies.
The question is: should I put it together, and if it's good, sell it, with FULL DISCLOSURE? Or get a good used cylinder? I have no interest in keeping this saw. I'm leaning toward getting a good used cylinder.

It was cleaned with 180 then 320 grit in a Foredom, then finished with red scotchbrite in a drill.

Latest posts

Back