Would you trust this man to build you a chain??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatpikr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK Folks: This new thread is to show off my chain building prowess. I'm actually a total newb to chain building. The first pic is what a factory rivet looks like. The second picture is my first attempt at reducing a new chain by 4 links. Before you freak out at the second pic: 1) I did not have a new preset (3/8 LP); 2) The guy that's been building my chains for years says you can reuse a preset once; 3) I've cut a mess of wood with this chain 4) I now have a new preset and will probably never do this again. I'm going to change it when I resharpen. btw- this is on a little 30cc echo "yard" saw.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

yikes.
i know nothing about chains.... except that they are cheap to replace!:)
i would not trust it. (and your cutter looks dinged up a bit)
:cheers:

Last edited:
I am with Volks man. That looks scary, good thing it is on a small saw. That would tear apart on anything bigger.

Make sure you're wearing some heavy pants when you run that thing....I've been walloped on the leg with a flying chain, was glad I wasn't wearing shorts, but wished I was wearing chaps.
Better yet, have it fixed properly...or throw it out.

Well it LOOKS unsafe to me, don't be cheap. Chains are $10.00, we don't want to read about you in the injuries section!

I've seen field repairs on chains on landing saws that looked much worse than that run for months. I'd replace it, but I'd run it if I were on a job and had nothing else.

I've seen field repairs on chains on landing saws that looked much worse than that run for months. I'd replace it, but I'd run it if I were on a job and had nothing else.

Hey, trust me, I know it's a spooky setup. Like I said in my original post, I will probably never do this again because I now have the proper preset. I just wanted to see if I could make a once used preset work. It works. I don't usually wear a face shield here at the house, with this chain I'm wearing one. I've always been a bit of an envelope pusher. My other favorite hobby is rapelling through slot canyons in Zion Ntl. Park. Seen some serious timber in that back country.

I use to buy chain by the roll and have reused the old rivet but it never looked like that one.What the heck did they use to do it,it looks like whatever it was it was way too big.Mine came out alittle smaller but covered the hole and looked original like your first pick but smaller.Looks like an accident ready to happen.

I have been known to cut a few corners, but there's no way in hell I would run that chain. Just not worth the possible injury.

what's your adress i'll send ya the 30 bucks for a new chain, destroy that one any any evidence on it, if it was mine i woodent even start it and spin it. look's unsafe at any speed, even standing stihl. seriously get a new chain, nice attempt at the repair but practice a bit before you put it into use. i'd hate to se any one get hurt over something like that.:cheers:

If you guys think that chain looks spooky, you should see it when a hook tender joins up a mainline via two eyes in the ends that he spliced/turned on a stump...just the sight of it going back up in the air will give you the chills.

OK -- you guys win -- so do I, actually. I'll remove the chain tomorrw and put in a new preset. That way I'll live to tell the story. Thanks for the concern. Again, I did not have a new preset when I tried this experiment. I'm brand new to breakers and spinners. I got some new presets from Bailey's. Next picture should be much better. BTW- it looks real good from a distance.

Last edited:
Looks like the old punched out preset was reinstalled. I gotta admit I did it before in a pinch. Never had a problem but only did it with mini saws.
Those peened over rivets will hold quite abit. When you remove the preset, try getting it apart without a punch. Bet it's tougher than it looks.

I never had a chain break but I never let em get dull or loose. Amazing how much heat and streting goes on with a dull chain. Used to sharpen for alot of homeowners who just didn't know when to stop.

OK -- you guys win -- so do I, actually. I'll remove the chain tomorrw and put in a new preset. That way I'll live to tell the story. Thanks for the concern. Again, I did not have a new preset when I tried this experiment. I'm brand new to breakers and spinners. I got some new presets from Bailey's. Next picture should be much better. BTW- it looks real good from a distance.

so does ru paul! :dizzy:

:greenchainsaw:

Not good, but

It worked, didn't it??

Before I got the breaker / spinner, I was forced to shorten a few chains, the hard way.... They also worked.

Dremmel the head of the rivit off, and remove the plate.
When ready to re-assemble I would take the link and with the handy acetylene torch add a little length to the legs. Dremmel enough to get the plate on it. Re-assemble the chain. Then I would heat the ends and smash them with a hammer. Worked, and I had a saw of almost 5 cu pulling 7/16 chain without failure that way.

-Pat

Latest posts

Back